Arizona....help us narrow down an itinerary

Christal1664882414

<p>We are in the beginning stages of planning our trip to Phoenix for 2 weeks April 4-20. We'll only be in Phoenix proper 3 days at the most......visiting family, and we're trying to decide how far to travel away from Phoenix for sight-seeing and photographic purposes. Please keep in mind that our philosophy is usually quality over quantity......meaning that we like to really 'see' an area and not just flit by it and take a few pictures. I've been reading the suggestions on this forum of places to visit around the Phoenix area, and so many places appeal to us. My question is......is 2 weeks enough time to go north through the Sedona, Wupatki, Canyon de Chelly, and then on up into the slot canyon area around Page, AR? We probably won't try to see the Grand Canyon on this trip. We've been there before, and we're interested in seeing some new places. Also, for those of you familiar with the area, is there anything south (or east or west) of Phoenix that is worth exploring? (Saguaro NP, Tucson?) Soon we'll need to make lodging arrangements, so we need to start getting an idea of where we'll likely spend most of our time. Also, we'd be interested in knowing what kind of weather to expect in the Canyon area in northern Arizona. We would appreciate any help and/or suggestions. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>if you're up in the Sedona area, check out the funky little town called Jerome and a heck of a drive.<br>

Also, while in Sedona, head a little west and north and explore some of that. Have lunch on the deck of the Enchantment Resort (really!!!!).</p>

<p>Hi Christal:</p>

<p>If you don't have it already, pick up a copy of Laurent Martres book Photographing the Southwest - Arizona. We found it very useful in prioritizing which parts of the state to visit.</p>

<p>You can purchase a copy from Amazon; be sure it's the second edition. He also has separate volumes for Utah and Colorado. All are excellent.</p>

<p>regards<br>

Santo</p>

<p>Howard & Alex......we'll definitely check out these ideas based on your recommendation. We're always anxious to try new places to eat....we stay away from the big chains.</p>

<p>Santo, Thanks! I research books on Amazon all the time, so I'll check this out. </p>

<p>Juergen, I failed to mention that we then need to get back to Phoenix to fly home. So we could make a loop, I guess. What else is there in the Page area? You suggested 2-3 days there, but I only know about Antelope Canyon. Thanks if you can elaborate a little. </p>

<p>I appreciate all of the advice. Please keep it coming.</p>

<p>Yes, in the alloted time you can do the places you mentioned. I'd add if you go to the Enchantment Resort, you might not want to leave! I'll add Oak Creek Canyon drive outside Sedona, as well as the old dirt road from downtown Sedona to the main highway (sorry I can't remember the name) which Sedona's husband used to cart his produce to market...it really is a 4wd trip in some places only 1 lane wide with a steep drop...but some terrific views. Take a Pink Jeep tour while in Sedona (esp. the evening one as dusk approaches...the scenes and colors will blow you away once you get outside of town). Wupatki was best visited early in the am just at opening time...no tourists to spoil the shots. Wherever you go, have a great time...the scenery is awesome and the photo opportunities are endless. There's a great family restaurant on the way to Jerome (looks like a run-down log lodge) so you can fill up on the way.</p>

<p>At the risk of incurring the wrath of those who live in and love Arizona, my advice would be to go north and stay north. I have to say that to me, the city of Tucson is not particularly photogenic and both parts of the Saguaro NP were of little more than momentary interest when I visited, also in April BTW. But of course the main reason to go north is that there's a lot to see in that direction. Certainly there's nothing to see south that would compare to the Canyon de Chelly, the surroundings of Sedona, and the area round Page for photographs, and frankly if you're doing those things then its a pity not to include Monument Valley too. </p>

<p>If you're going to as far as the Canyon de Chelly, a day or two in the Petrified Forest NP on the way would be worthwhile. OK it means staying in Holbrook which is not the most interesting town in the world unless Joe 'n Aggie's is still going for breakfast. Howver within the NP you have a good area of painted desert in the northern section, the remarkably interesting Blue Mesa ( that I never got to photograph in low light , which I regret since) and the Tepee formations, together with some petroglyphs. If you like Petrified Wood. well that's a bonus. I think you have ample time to incorporate this into the itinerary you mention</p>

<p> </p><div>00SEZx-106865584.jpg.fde410725379ad54f3405f6dc41caf84.jpg</div>

<p>To pick up on some secondary issue.</p>

<ul>

<li>Weather- be prepared for anything from hot to snow. I've had both round the Grand Canyon in April, though I'd imagine snow will be rare at lower altitudes. </li>

<li>I think the road Steven Lewis refers to above might be Schnebly Hill Road. </li>

<li>From Page you can get easily to Horseshoe Canyon - easy 15 minute walk either way from a roadside parking area off the 89 south of town, or more ambitiously and with a bit of a drive you can get to The Wave if you can get a permit. Otherwise turning north off the 89 at Big Water will take you eventually to Romana Mesa- best to pick up detailed directions in Page and allow about 1.5 hrs each way. Its 4wd.</li>

<li>Red Rock Crossing, accessed from a park a little to the west of Sedona, is often photographed but none the worse for that </li>

</ul>

<p>PAge area - where do I start? Just to give you some idea, I stayed there for the better part of 10 days and still had not seen all the sites - it is an incredibly photogenic area.<br>

Upper and lower Antelope Canyon<br>

Coyote Butes (The wave amongst many things to see (but you need a permit)<br>

Lake Powell<br>

Rainbow Arch<br>

White Cliffs<br>

Paria Canyon (you can spend days in there)<br>

Horseshoe bend<br>

Canyon X (need a tour guide to get there)<br>

and so on. I have been there three times and can't wait to go back to Page!</p>

<p>Buy the book that someone mentioned earlier - Photographing the Southwest - Arizona - the best money you can spend on such a trip.</p>

<p>Stephen, this is exactly the kind of information I was wanting. Thanks for confirming that we're not trying to cram in too much in that amount of time. We're not going to rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle, so we may not be able to access some of the roads from the way it sounds. But the jeep tours sound great. Thank you so much!<br /></p>

<p>David, thanks for your opinion about north vs. south of Phoenix. I kind of had the feeling from what I've read so far that we'd most likely want to head north. Thanks for your excellent suggestions, as well as the gorgeous image of Blue Mesa. I hope I get something half that good! The last time we were out west at the Grand Canyon, we drove to Monument Valley intending to take a jeep tour. We were so turned off by the pushy jeep operators that we just didn't go. I was disappointed that we couldn't drive out there by ourselves. I'd like to go out there with a photo guide.....do you happen to know any? Or does anyone know the best way to take a guided tour of Monument Valley? I agree with you that we should try to go. Thanks so much for your help!</p>

<p>Juergen, It certainly sounds like you know the area well. What a luxury to be able to stay there and explore as you've done. We'll definitely put the Page area on our itinerary, and you've convinced me to buy that book as well. I am also going to buy the Photograph America Newsletter for this area. We bought the issues for the Pacific Northwest this past summer and found them very helpful for photography suggestions. If you're interested in checking it out go here: www.photographamerica.com And thanks for your wonderful suggestions!</p>

<p>There is a fairly substantial circular drive around Monument Valley that you can do- and lots of people do- without a guide. Its well marked and interesting, and lots of people do this in a 2wd car with a little care. </p>

<p>There are areas of MV that you can't access without a Navajo guide. These include Teardrop arch, Hunts Mesa and getting close to the Totem Pole formation. I've never used one but there are lots of threads here from people asking for advice on that and feeding back their experience. Just avoid the truck/bus trips that don't really recognise that you're wwanting to take good photographs though, and don't imagine that having a guide will get you good photographs in the middle of the day. Try and stay nearby so you can get early/late light. </p>

<p>If you want to do some photography while in Phoenix, Usery Mountain Park in Mesa is a good spot to photograph Sonoran desert vegetation, including wildflowers if any are around in April. Lost Dutchman in Apache Junction is similar, though further away. The Desert Botanical Garden may be interesting for macro or close-up shots of flowers and cacti. </p>

<p>Carl, You got my attention with the hummingbirds. :-) I'm still trying to get a good hummingbird shot. Thanks for your suggestions. </p>

<p>Craig, We usually stop in the local AAA office of wherever we visit. They'll have much more in Arizona than we can get here in Indiana. I'll ask for that map. Thanks for the suggestion.</p>

<p>David, I agree......big bus trips are the pits and really aren't our cup of tea. I'll do a search for more info on MV.......and I'll also check on another site I just joined called "Travel Photographers Network'.....more of a travel emphasis than Photo.net Good advice about staying nearby. BTW, your photography is outstanding! When I get the chance I intend to check it out more thoroughly.</p>

<p>Ben, Perfect!! I'll have a good portion of one day all by myself because my husband and brother and his wife will all be playing golf. These are the kinds of places I love to visit, so I'll check them out. Thanks so much!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>J.W., Thanks......good suggestion. We do like birds, although I haven't had all that much success with photographing them yet. I see you have some great hummingbird pictures on your photo page......really beautiful!! Ya know, as far as the North vs. South thing.......I think we live in such a great land. The way I look at it is: there is something of beauty most anywhere you go......but it's different strokes for different folks, I guess. Just this week my husband and I are buying a Fifth Wheel camper so that we can start traveling and seeing the country 'our' way......at leisure, and really getting to know areas. The way we have to do it now......fly to a place, stay a week, leave frustrated that we couldn't see more of an area....is a thing of the past. Since my brother lives in Phoenix all winter, we'll get back there many times and hopefully get to see all of the areas recommended by you all. Thanks for your help! </p>

<p>I greatly appreciate all of the wonderful suggestions so far. Please keep them coming! I'll start a file for future reference, because as I stated above, we'll no doubt be returning there many times in the future since my brother spends his winters down there. But what you've provided so far has helped me galvanize my thinking, allowing me to start figuring out a rough itinerary and timeline for our trip. Thanks so much!</p>

<p>San Javier del Bac mission south of Tuscon, Tombstone and its boot hill cemetery (touristy but fun), Hopi and Navajo Indian Reservations, Superstition muntains (you might find the Lost Dutchman mine), Phoenix's South Mountain Park at sunset, Lake Havasu and London Bridge (also touristy and fun). The AAA map referred to above is published by the automobile club of southern California, highly recommended.</p>

<p>Hi, Christal. Be sure to include the Boyce Thompson Arboretum in your travels of Arizona. It's located east of Phoenix on US 60 near Superior. Also, the 60 east all the way to Globe is a very scenic drive. April is usually prime time at the Arboretum, where you can see native plants without doing miles of hiking!</p>