Ariz.-N.M.

gary_meader

<p>In the Page area I never miss the Wahweep Hoodoos. It is a hike but through a large dry (usually) riverbed. The hoodoos are very interesting, early morning is the best time for them because they are on the west side of the river with clifs to the west of the hoodoos. There are 3 groups.<br>

Another place I visit frequently is Alstrom Point. It requires a high-clearance vehicle (4WD is nice) and is usually quite windy. But you can get some spectacular views of Lake Powell. Early morning or late afternoon is best.</p>

<p>If you can make it up into the Mesa Verde area of Colorado, that has the most spectacular and well preserved cliff dwellings in the world. In Northeastern Arizona, Canyon de Chelly is a great place to visit, especially if you take a motor vehicle tour into the canyon. I have been to the Bisti Badlands in New Mexico, just south of Farmington that has a vast array of hoodoo formations-most interesting! I have also been there fossil collecting as well as photography. A great place to find early mammal remains from the Cretaceous Period.</p>

<p>Whatever you do, do not be tempted to collect vertebrate fossils on federal land. These days, you might spend your vacation looking at four walls. I didn't mention Hovenweep because you said "south of the 4 corners area" but it is an extremely interesting place, especially for large format, as you have freedom of mobility, lack of crowds, and all the time you need. Unfortunately, this cannot be said of Mesa Verde unless you are on a photo workshop there. Canyon de Chelly can be incredibly beautiful in the fall, especially after a rain, but to me has been spoiled but the encroachment of housing on the rim (and even tin shacks, signs, picnic tables and guardrails in the canyon!). A trip in the canyon is still a classic experience.</p>

<p>Canyon de Chelly is best on foot. You have to hire a Navajo guide, and that's a plus because it humanizes the place better than any guidebook. Riding a horse or machine removes you from the reality. Take it slow, pay for a guide (or walk through it with a group and guide, and then solo with a guide). Seeing it from the top is not the point, though the extremely dangerous Navajo "highway" that leads down to it from New Mexico puts it into a context one can't appreciate from nearby. <br>

Be sure to get the famous "Indian Country" map that's sold everywhere, and get some of Tony Hillerman's audio tapes (which are helped by owning the map)<br>

....Hillerman knew Navajo and Hopi people from a human perspective, rather than "anthropology" perspective...his books/tapes are wonderful. <br>

I'm suggesting that the people are at least as important as the rocks and relics.</p>

<p>Paria River Overlook south of Big Water (4WD)</p>

<p>Grosvenor Arch, Cottonwood Wash Road</p>

<p>Paria Movie Set (Site)</p>

<p>Antelope Canyon</p>

<p>Navajo Mountain Overlook, Shoreline Drive, Lake Powell, Page<br>

http://www.photo.net/photo/5669549</p>

<p>Wiregrass Canyon</p>

<p>Horseshoe Bend, Colorado River (Page)</p>

<p>Coyote Buttes (Permit Required)</p>

<p>Lee's Ferry hike to Thousand Pockets Vermilion Wilderness</p>

<p>Summit of Navajo Mountain (4WD)</p>

<p>White Mesa Arch and surrounding area (East of Kaibeto)</p>

<p>Boat ride to Rainbow Bridge</p>

<p>Wahweap Creek Hoodoos</p>

<p>Length of the Honeymoon Trail (Maybe 4WD)</p>

<p>Tropic Shale "Moonscape", Big Water<br>

http://www.photo.net/photo/6320932</p>

<p>Blue Pool and Skylight Arches</p>

<p>Boat ride up Navajo Canyon</p>

<p>"Mushroom" rock near White House, GSENM<br>

http://www.photo.net/photo/4546117</p>

<p>Been here for 15 years and still haven't seen it all.</p>

<p>Mr. Hall,</p>

<p>Yes, it did.</p>

<p>It was actually a reproduction of the original Josey Wales movie set that was torn down after damage suffered from a serious flash flood in 1998.</p>

<p>That is why I noted it as the " Paria Movie Set (Site) ". Only the site remains, the structures are gone.</p>