Arista Lith film for continuous tone negatives

jack_welsh

<p>Lith film is designed for development in lith developer - this gives so-called infectious development, whereby development activity simulates more activity, resulting in a negative which is either black or white with no mid tones. Kodak Ortholith 3 film could be persuaded via a huge increase in exposure and soft development to produce continuous-tone negatives, it sounds as if Arista Lith film won't play along (assuming of course that the print developer you used was well mixed and that agitation was given). You could try again with the same dev giving continuous agitation, this might work but I can't guarantee it.</p>

<p>The Kodak sheet for TP (Technical Pan film) gives contrast values for different developers.</p>

<p>Next to hard-to-find Technidol, there is a high dilution of HC-110 which should give continuous tone at low EI values. </p>

<p>That might be specific to the way TP works, but I would try much lower EI values and diluted HC-110. The high dilution is close to stand development, though the times aren't all that long. </p>

<p>http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/support/techPubs/p255/p255.pdf</p>

<p>Try HC-110 in dilution F for, as they say, 6 to 12 minutes. You will have to find the appropriate EI for each time. </p>

-- glen

<p>I've used Arista Lith film in pinhole cameras a few times. The only light spots in the dark areas I've had were due to dust. Do you mean the areas that are dark on the neg? Or that would be dark when printed? Mine are fine either way except for dust (and I'm pretty sure it's dust, plenty of experience with dust, unfortunately). <br>

I used Ilford MG paper developer mixed as for paper (1:9). I don't remember how long I developed for, though, but probably similar to RC paper - 1 minute. And a red safe light.</p>

<p>Would be useful to see the "spots". Defects due to poor film coating or developer action are likely to be sharply defined small and perfectly round pinholes, dust marks are likely to vary more in size and may have the irregular shape of pieces of lint, spots in the sense of unsharp mainly circular areas of different density may well be due to film stored in damp conditions.</p>

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...