Arista II ISO 100 ponderings

waldo_lee

I recently purchased a dozen rolls of Freestyle's dwindling supply of Arista II ISO 100 film. I'd never used it before,

nor had I ever used Agfa APX 100 which I understand is the same thing. (I noted that the Arista II canisters

said "Made In Germany.")

I'd read from several sources that Agfa APX 100 was quite grainy for an ISO 100 film, which is why I was never

tempted to try it until I saw the low price for Arista II ISO 100 film at Freestyle. However, after processing for 8

minutes in Xtol 1+1, the results I saw were very fine grained. I'm quite familiar with Delta 100, T-Max 100, Plus-X,

and FP4+. In terms of grain, I've only produced finer-grained results with T-Max 100 and perhaps Delta 100. I didn't

expect this! Plus I love the tonal and spectral response of Arista II ISO 100. Damn! I'm not happy knowing that this

film is disappearing fast.

So my question is whether anyone can recommend another 100 ISO film with comparable fine grain and similar

spectral and tonal characteristics? I've never tried the Fuji B&W films, nor Foma, nor Efke.

And I'm wondering if Arista II ISO 100 really was Agfa APX 100? I saw virtually no grain in 13x19 inkjet prints. I

know that matching B&W films to film scanners can be somewhat hit and miss, with certain films synching better

with a given scanner, and others producing excessive grain due to grain aliasing. Perhaps Arista II ISO 100 just

happened to be a happy combination with my Canonscan FS4000US scanner? The whole thing is a mystery to me.

APX 100 wasn't particularly grainy. Even in Rodinal or Neofin Blue my results from 35mm APX 100 weren't unusually grainy. There are many variables that can influence perception of grain, including scanning, so I'd be wary of such unsubstantiated or unqualified opinions from others, until they provide enough specific information to provide context. Also, some folks seem allergic to grain and even the slightest hint of acuity makes them itchy.

Try Efke 100. It's been a few years since I last tried it but R100 in MF was very comparable to APX 100. Beautiful stuff in Neofin Blue.

Efke 100 is a beautiful film - it's my preferred B&W film in 35mm - but I don't know that I'd describe the tonality as anything like APX, nor is the Efke as fine-grained, IMO; it's more a Tri-X versus TMY, Plus-X versus TMX sort of deal. Efke's 25-speed film, though, has comparable tonality, and superb (lack of) grain - but a higher contrast, and, of course, two stops less speed. Certainly worth trying, though; you might just like it as much as I do. :)

EFKE/ADOX 100 is very nice also Gekko NW 100 is a good film also. You can find the Gekko on ebay by the brick for about $1.00 a roll on BIN many times. I have a few 100 foot rolls of AGFA 100 in my freezer and I use it all the time. I like it right behind Plus-X. but the AGFA works much better in Rodinal than the Plus-X. if you like the APX Ultrafine has it in bulk.

Thanks for the responses, guys. In running down some of your suggestions, I did find a few places that still sell 100' rolls of APX 100. Also, there is a "Silvertone" film sold by a few sources in Canada--where I am--that purportedly is APX on a different base. I think it's time for some bulk purchases. Plus, I'll give Efke a try.