Argus C44 on walkabout

<p>Hello all!<br>

I humbly submit a set of pics taken with my Argus C44 with LR44 light meter attachment. Lens was a Cintagon 50mm 2.8. Film was Fujicolor Press 400 developed by the lovely ladies at Target Photo. This sweet piece of machine came to me with the rangefinder off kilter, Richard Oleson was kind enough to send me info on how to fix and calibrate it. If it weren't for his help you'd be enjoying some blurry pics. My first and only successful camera fix-up to this date!</p>

<p>Enough foreplay, to the pics!</p><div>00SnXd-117455584.JPG.71abbda16fb90fc35361df75c0799ef4.JPG</div>

<p>The 44 and 44R are IMHO the best that Argus produced and as you've shown are capable of producing great results in the right hands and with the right applied skills. Keep on using yours, and consider joining the Argus Collector's Group (Yahoo) if you want to learn more about these fascinating American cameras.<br>

Mike</p>

<p>I believe the Cintagon was made by Argus itself, as were most lenses for Argus cameras. It's a triplet lens that's a copy of an early screwmount Leica design, so it can give excellent results if stopped down to where sharpness is at its maximum. Argus's quality control was of course no where near as strict as Leica's, so there is some variability from lens to lens. But the good ones can be very good indeed.</p>

<p>There's a reason Argus rangefinders were so popular with consumers. They had their quirks, but they were excellent value for the money. They were considered the most economical cameras with shutters accurate enough to allow for proper exposure of slide film.</p>

<p>Thanks all!<br>

I was actually surprised at how the pics turned out. As for the lovely ladies at Target, I'm a regular there so they take extra care with my rolls of film. It's too bad that they don't have the photo card program any more though. It was saving me a lot of money.</p>

<p>As for the Cintagon lenses, not too sure who made them but as David said they were Argus made, I do have some Sandmar lenses though that say "Made in Germany" for my C3. Maybe I'll take those out and shoot with them next. Most the shots were taken at f16.<br>

I think it is a good thing that Argus cameras go for so cheap.</p>