Argus c4 wind knob/shutter release problem

<p>I'm pretty new to the Argus c4, but I've shot three rolls now and had no problems until I tried to load up the fourth roll. I'm not sure if I did something to mess it up, but here's my problem: I put in a roll of film and got it all loaded up, but when I went to turn the wind knob to advance the film, it wouldn't stop winding. The shutter release button slowly rose up like it does when the film is advancing, but as the wind knob never caught when a new frame was in place, it just dropped back down and never seemed to engage in order to fire a shot. I tried pushing the shutter release but it didn't do anything at all.<br>

I hope I explained that clearly enough! If anyone knows how to fix it, I would really appreciate the help! I'm on a road trip and really want to use it as soon as possible!</p>

<p>I expect the film either 1) isn't winding at all, if it popped off the take-up spool after you closed the door, or 2) isn't engaging the sprockets which are what the locking mechanism is taken from. Rewind the film (not all the way, unless you have a gizmo to retrieve a film lead out of the canister), open the back and reload, but advance to the 1sr frame with the door open so you can see exactly what it's doing.</p>

<p>Not too uncommon with the C-4 The shutter spring has either broken or become unhooked.<br>

The Argus Collector site has a set of parts drawing for the mostly similar C-44R <a href="http://www.arguscg.org/manuals/c44/parts/">http://www.arguscg.org/manuals/c44/parts/</a><br>

It's also a good idea to clean the shutter blades if you are going to use a C-4. After a couple of decades they tend to get a little gummed up and this puts stress on the rest of the shutter mechanism (including that spring)</p>

<p>Dan Cluley</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
I'm having a problem with the shutter on a recently acquired C44. I was very pleased with my purchase after lubricating and freeing up the focusing system and cleaning up the rangefinder windows inside and out. I went out to shoot a roll of film. I got through 30 frames and then the shutter stopped working. As I advance the film, the shutter button rises only partly up and will not trip the shutter. Looking inside, I see that the shutter is open. From what I've read thus far, this looks like it might be a real pain to fix. Any advise? Edited by curtishansmiller