Are you M, A or S shooter

karenf

<p>I was interested in people often discussing their camera under or over-exposing and I wondered if most people shoot with an Aperture or Shutter Priority rather than Manual. So, what do you all do? What's your preference and why?</p>

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<p>Most of my cameras don't have anything but M. On the few that do, I sometimes use M and sometimes A depending on my mood and whether I think the light is consistent enough that I'd prefer to use a consistent exposure even when differently colored subjects might make an autoexposure algorithm decide to mess around with things.</p>

<p>In order by frequency of use.<br>

Mostly A to control D.O.F.<br>

S for when I want to have moving objects clear and not blurry or if I want to convey movement and purposely blur.<br>

P for just goofing around<br>

M for situations where A, S and P are failing me and the camera isn't giving me what I want.</p>

<p>I'll often start with A(I use a lot of non-AF,non-AE lenses), but will inevitably switch to M because the metering system in the camera(D3) is not very smart. Even on matrix the ten million ugly snapshots that Nikon analyzed in order to create the matrix program don't help me...except when I'm actually trying to create an ugly snapshot.</p>

<p>That's interesting. I have tried using A or S but I usually end up going back to M through frustration. Maybe I should persist. Photographing things moving in and out of shade and/or rapidly changing light conditions is always 'fun'.</p>

<p>Incorrect exposure is a result of the meter being 'fooled' by the lighting conditions and is not mode specific.</p>

<p>As I like to and often need to control both shutter speed and aperture, I often use Nikon's 'hidden' automatic mode, shooting in manual mode with auto ISO on and use exposure compensation as needed when the meter gets it wrong.</p>

<p>Mostly M, with an occasional A. I learned photography on a good P&S with M settings available and stuck with that. However, I set up the camera for the lens, the scene, and my needs, then simply adjust <strong>shutter speed</strong> only to get balanced exposure.</p>

<p>For bird photography - exclusively S. For all else, A 99% of the time. M only for panoramas, night shots or quite often when using flash. I never use P - I am not a Professional ;-)</p>

<blockquote>M only. The only way you can get exactly what you want.</blockquote>

<p>With all due respect, that is a ridiculous statement. M, A and S are simply different means to the same end - you can achieve exactly the same result whether you tweak your exposure in M or A or S. Which one to use is a matter of personal preference or convenience; none is "better" than the other. </p>

<p>I am not sure how using A/S/M or even P will relate to under/over exposure. So long as you understand how the meter works e.g. A/S using exposure comp - M just set the iso/aperture/shutter so that the meter reads the way you want. Unless of course something like setting the shutter to 1/2000, and obviously in S mode, there isn't an aperture wide enough in low light for you to open up to....</p>

<p>Personally, I shoot mainly with A, 'cause I want to control my aperture, exposure comp for well, exposure comp, and then use my iso to regulate shutter speeds. M is usually for panoramas and indoors with flash. Can not remember the last time I used S. or P. Maybe nikon could install a custom function to remove unwanted auto exposure modes :-)</p>

<p>Alvin</p>

<p>99% of the time, A. Sometimes at events, if I want to catch something or pan with an effect I'll switch to S. If it gets dark, I'm playing with flashes, or need direct exposure control, I'll switch to M.<br>

For some reason I don't think I've ever used Program modes at all.</p>