Are there Fuji Finepix S5000 users out there?

I'm considering buying my first digital camera, and have narrowed my

search to the Fuji Finepix S5000. My question mainly is this; If you

own one now, what do you like/ dislike about it. Would you purchase

an exact replacement if something were to happen to it?

Also, I'm finding a wide range of prices on it, from $399.99 to

$579.00. Are there US models and "grey market" models just as in

35mm cameras to possibly explain this large price difference?

Thanks in advance.

DG

I'm also considering the S5000. A major concern is the lack of clarity in either the screen on the back of the camera or when it's switched to the eye view. Your mention of price differences is less dramatic than I'm finding with new, fully warranted units on the internet for as little as $284. There is no indication there are more than one model available. I think this camera earned -- deservedly so? -- a bad reputation for claiming to be 6.0 megapixel when it is actually 3 with software interpolation that I can't find anyone to explain. So I'm feeling very caution. Best xD memory card prices, by the way, are at Wal-Mart but they price the camera itself at about $500.

• 1 month later...
I've owned my S5000 for about 3 months now. It works GREAT! It's small, light and very techie. Lot of options and settings. The price has come down from 499.00 but you can still get a good deal on the internet if you look around. Use a good set of litium batteries and you're shooting for days. For a full review of it's features go to http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms5000/. For some sample shots and more on interpolation go to http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fuji/finepix_s5000-review/index.shtml. Overall it's a GREAT camera for the cash and a snap to connect to your PC.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the s5000 for about two weeks and have already taken 700 photos. It is my first camera and I have found it very easy to use, I got good results from the very first day I took it out. My only complaint about it is that there is a lot of noise in the pictures compared to some of the competition. This isn't that bad since using a program like Neat image can get rid of the noise without blurring the rest of the photo in most situations. I would also like a longer shutter exposure than the 2 second maximum, although night shots can be made at 2 seconds longer times can be usefull. Other than that I like it very much, If I had to buy a camera again I wouldn't change my decision.

I bought mine from digitalfotoclub.com for $314. There are other cheaper sites to get it from but I would suggest you check the sites ratings since many aren't very honest. I also bought a 128MB memory card and batteries with a charger the final price was $400. Don't forget to factor these extras into the budget