Are there any pro photographers who never use flash?

aretha_powe

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, as long as the lighting is strong enough. Notice the ones that do "All Natural light Studio Shots" have the ideal

setup. Lots of windows. Right color walls and floors. They make the most of what they have. Lots of wedding

photographers have to do "No" flash weddings. Some places wont permit flash photography. Thats why they try to

find superior equipment to make the most of the "Available" light.

Ex: Canon 5D, 1D3 or Nikon D300 D3 for its High ISO capability. Then they couple those with some fast glass. Ex:

85 f1.2L, 501.2L or Nikon equal. Then wait for the right moments when the light is good.

This question has been asked from time to time. You might do some research. If you've seen websites of wedding photographers who don't use flash, then you already know it IS possible. However, it isn't easy. And it is sometimes questionable, in my opinion, to never use flash. Many times, (and this isn't ALWAYS the case), a wedding photographer who never uses flash is afraid of flash, because you CAN make flash look fairly 'natural", while still getting the benefit of flash--which is to even out contrast in lighting or to enable one to use the better quality of lower ISOs. The latter is difficult to control in a fluid situation like a wedding. Just because the light is natural doesn't mean it is always the best or most flattering light.

I have to chime in after what Nadine said... when I first finished photo school I considered myself a "natural light

photographer", and it was 100% because I didn't really know how to use a flash to create the kind of lighting that I

wanted.

I was scared of flashes and strobes, and felt overwhelmed at the prospect of learning to use them in a non-studio

environment. I would venture that this is probably true of MOST photographers who use only natural light.

Once I learned to USE a flash, and CONTROL a flash, and to CREATE my light with a flash, I felt completely differently

about my work. I can now walk confidently into ANY situation and know that I can get great photographs, regardless of

the lighting conditions, time of day, etc, because I know how to use my flash. I still have plenty to learn, I'm sure, but

reaching the point where I'm no longer scare of flashes is HUGE for me, and it has absolutely taken my work to another

level.

If you're considering being a "natural light photographer", think further about WHY. Is it because you don't think you can

get good light from a flash? Because that's certainly not the case. Is it because you don't know how to use a flash?

Because that can be remedied! From my own personal experience, I feel there are very few paths into photography that

will not, at some point, require some additional lighting. So you will either need to come equipped with some pretty bright

lamps to plug in and turn on next to the dance floor (ha) or learn how to make your own lighting with flashes. :)

Personally, I'd be dead in the water without using flash for certain shots at a wedding, and I feel that if even the most seasoned pro showed up at a wedding without flash, he could do it, but some of the shots would suffer as a result, in comparison with what the same shots could be with flash or additional strobes.

Now, let me qualify that statement, so I'm not misunderstood. Whenever you shoot no-flash in very low lighting, you must use very fast lenses and high ISO to capture moving subjects without blur. Getting quality with these shots requires high-end cameras with great low-noise high ISO performance, as well as great optics.

I try never to shoot wedding cakes, food, details, flowers, etc. with flash, because it just ruins the image. I break out the fast primes and crank the ISO a bit, use image stabilization, and capture the beauty of this still life.

I also never use flash in ceremonies, with the exception of sometimes using a bit of fill during the processional and recessional. Church rules, distractions, and all that apply.

The other issue is dynamic range. There are many situations we encounter in weddings where you have a subject indoors or in a shady area, and the background is very bright or sunlit. DLSRs don't have the dynamic range of human vision, so pros usually balance a shady foreground with the bright background by using fill flash, reflectors, strobes, etc. You usually have to have a camera with high-speed shutter to do this. Without flash, you'd have to blow out the brighter areas, and that usually makes for ugly images, nuked grass, etc. As Nadine says, just because the light is natural doesn't mean it is always the best or most flattering light.

I previously posted some images in this thread: http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00QNOH

I could not have done any of these shots without flash. The movement of the subjects and lighting simply would not permit it.

Natural light is wonderful when used properly, but for weddings, my opinion is that you MUST have auxilliary lighting and know when and how to best use it.

Don’t misunderstand me, I wasn’t saying Natural is better by any stretch. I was just saying to answer Alice's

question. Yes it can be done. Some examples of how or what it takes.

She was asking is it possible. Not necessarily better.

I use flash and love it. But I hardly ever use direct flash. I always use diffused/bounced. As Nadine/Anne said, flash

can be used to look very natural if done so correctly. Alice, they are right in saying, most who choose totally against

it are in fact "afraid" of it becuase of the bad results they received using it improperly.

There is a women and I cant remember her site, but another member here mentioned her in ex: in a post similar to

yours. She had very nice Natural light photos, but she also had the "ideal" setup for it.

Sorry, I didnt want to mislead Alice.

My first reaction is to think that it's usually a fear of flash (the unknown) backed up with an ethical excuse.

Then thinking about it, the argument against flash is the same argument that a photojournalist uses against posing.

Maybe for some or most, it is simply a fear of the unknown. But there are definitely arguments for purity that are valid, and not simply a crutch for a photographer that lacks posing or lighting skills.

I like natural lighting when the lighting is good, but I pull out the flash when (most of the time) it is bad.

I consider myself a natural light photographer, but I do use flash. I'm not afraid of it, I just think natural light is the most

complimentary PROVIDED: 1. That there is enough available light. 2. That you know how to use the light correctly. I agree

wholeheartedly that most people call themselves natural light because they don't know or care to learn about using flash

correctly. I don't use flash for the portraits, ceremony, or getting ready unless there is no light to be had. I do use it for in

church formals and the reception. I think, as with most things, there is a happy medium. I do, however, wish that more

amateurs would learn to use the available light as much as possible instead of relying on their flash, which often looks flat

and dated to me.

Can you shoot without flash? - sure. Never? A more appropriate question might be, can you be a professional photographer and not know how to use flash? Not likely.

Pros know when and how flash will produce the results they desire. Is it wise to say never? Why? There is such a variety of shooting conditions, especially at weddings. You can try to use all available light but it doesn't always present itself as an ideal opportunity. It is extremely important to have and be able to use lighting tools if they are required.

The person who calls themselves a pro and says, heck I don't even own a flash, is asking for trouble.

Just my opinion.

Lou

I guess I did not word my question correctly. I should have asked (taken from Lou) Can you be a professional photographer and not know how to use flash?

I am not a professional, but I do want to learn to use flash but I don't understand it at all.

Alice, start by looking at www.strobist.com or www.planetneil.com and you will get a lot of education regarding flash technique. Without the knowledge of flash you don't have the tools at your disposal to become a pro. It doesn't mean you can't shoot with mostly available light but as a pro you have to realize there will not always be the kind of light you require - sometimes you just have to produce it yourself.

Lou

To those who say you must absolutely master flash to be a professional:

I couldn't say something like that absolutely. In the fine art world there are and have been countless masters that never used flash.

How many large format film cameras have there been with a hot shoe? Some don't even have method to sync a strobe.

Sure, for most photographers, you should understand strobes, but an absolute statement like that is bound to upset lots of folks I'm not fit to

assist.

:)

<i>In the fine art world there are and have been countless masters that never used flash. </i><p>Given that this is the wedding and social event forum, what happens in the fine art world isn't really relevant. If you are going to be a professional and shoot events, there is often no control over lighting, and there often isn't sufficient light. Hence, if you haven't mastered flash, it can be a real problem. A professional is expected to be prepared for any situation within the domain of what they are shooting.

The big difference between a pro and an amateur is that the pro MUST get results. Now, as an amateur, I have the luxury of saying "I want to use a beautiful light, or not get the picture". When I was a pro it was get the pictures no matter what you have to do. Often that requires a flash.

Wedding photography is not in the same category as any other. You are expected to shoot portraits, candids, still life (details), photojournalism, and who knows what else. If it were only a single subject and you had complete control of the event, you could put everything exactly where you wanted it to make pictures without using flash.

But - it's not like that at a wedding. Knowing "how" to use fill flash is quite different from actually "using" flash. You may never need to use it if your light is always perfect for the what you are shooting. I have yet to meet a photographer in my 30+ years of shooting that had the 100% perfectly lighted wedding scenario.

I'm sure there are occasions where flash is not necessary for most of a wedding day. It is rare. But even if you do get that rare day, they will not all be that way.

Lou

I dont shoot wedding, nor do I use flash, im afraid, ill admit that. It is probably one of my hesitations and if i knew how to use a flash then i would be less reluctant to shoot weddings.

I think that many people dont use it because it is scary. Its also expensive. Three nice flashes will run you a grand and if you cant use them thats wasted money.