Are there any fantastic children's photographers in here?

ashley_jankowski

Heres a list of some that I have marked in my interesting people list whom I feel are wonderful childrens photographers on here. Sorry I dont know how to link to their page. Was dissapointed that your web site is down..I wanted to check out your work. When will it be up?

Jayme Hall

Emily Koch

Danielle Toews

Janet Cantrell

Brett,

I see you have birth photos of your daughter. I started a thread about birth pictures a few threads down from this one, if you have any helpful comments for me.

Matt,

Checked out your site...Your photos are Awesome!!!! Love the strawberry nose girl she is adorable!!!

Elaine Marie

I'm just getting started, so I can't claim to be a fantastic established pro, but I do enjoy photographing babies and children and so far have been encouraged by the appreciation people have shown for my work. Not a lot of variety to my portfolio yet, but you're welcome to browse my <a href=http://www.photo.net/photos/Kim%20Long>photo.net portfolio</a> or my <a href=http://www.kimlongphotography.com/Gallery/Littleones/>website gallery</a>.<div>00FGxJ-28203284.jpg.8a8257554229b489fb3bb1f157e1276e.jpg</div>

So there are some fantastic child photos in here, although I think they are not all fantastic

- not all of mine are fantastic either. Still - they are all beautiful kids and it's hard to make

a beautiful child look bad. I mean 'fantastic' as in composition, color, contrast, exposure,

background, clothing choices, and even the look on the child's face. All of these things

need to be great for a portrait to be fantastic! Just go look at all the nudes in the galleries

(whether you appreciate them as art or not) and tell me that most of them aren't

fantastically photographed. I just want to find a bit of art in every photograph as well as

technical proficiency. I do have an fine art degree as well as a degree in commercial

photography.

My site is under construction; #1 because I still scanning negatives from the old days and

#2 because i am also the site designer and the action scripting slows me down and my site

is a bit complicated. So I'll notifly everyone when it's up. But if it helps - I've have 6 award

winning merit prints from the GPPA & SEPPA (both professional photographer associations)

Hi Ashley - there are alot of fantasic children's photographers on PN sometimes they are hard to find though. I have noticed that nudes, landscapes, architecture and birds seem to be the most popular and make the TRP list most frequently. But once in awhile some amazing children's photographs sneek in. I would suggest looking up Jayme Hall, J.C. Mellen, Elaine Vang (thanks for the compliment Elaine), Paul Deans, Amber Bowins, Michael Hills, Siri Simonsen, Anik Gingras, Oliver Weber, Lissa Hatcher, and Kristin Morales - just for starters. They are some of my favorites as I too specialize in children's photography. My website is www.gigglesngrinsphotography.com. You could also look at my own TRP to find some amazing photographs that I have rated since joining. I tend to rate children's and portraits so my list is mostly people. Hope this helps and welcome to PN. I look forward to seeing some of your images.

Children have rather short attention spans compared to an adult (nude) model - so when shooting children the photographer doesn't have as much time to dink with artistic lighting, and must use the time they have to focus on getting the perfect expression.

Portraits of active children can be more akin to sports photography than portraiture. You don't often see artistic lighting applied to football photos, either.

Doug Grosjean

Doug - I can't believe that you associated Children's portraiture to Sports Photography. I've

seen and worked with lots of photographers that look at lighting as "THE" crucial element of

photography! Even Sports photographers know how to take a meter reading. In fact most the

the photos that are ametuerish on PN are ones where the lighting is terrible and the

composition is moot. Anyone can capture a great moment in a childs life - it's ones that can

do that and all the rest that are PRO's.

I'd like to critique you children's portraiture - but your site seems to be down and you have

lightening uploaded to PN.

By the way Thomas - I think your kids are adorable, but the first photo is my favorite. The

lighting is beautiful - the moment is priceless and the composition is good too. The others

are simply snap shots that you took as a parent. The photography on your site seems to be

experimental. Are you a Children's Portrait photographer?

As someone said, you have to look a little for childrens' photos, but there are quite a few around. You can search by category on the critique page for starters. I think a lot of child pics are not put up for critique, though, because they generally don't get high ratings or many comments. Cheers.<div>00FH9z-28205484.jpg.70dba421aa4652f75673cb96ba86a4d6.jpg</div>

"...The photography on your site seems to be experimental..."...heh...that's more of a compliment than you could ever imagine....thanks. Not my kids, and no I'm not a Children's Photographer.

on your Photog Assoc mentioning......I always suspect phrases like those as glory hounding. Glad to see my suspicions were unwarranted in your case. If you already have the jpgs loaded on your site..you should post some more here. I personally prefer seeing the work, rather than the award.

Ashley,

<<< Doug - I can't believe that you associated Children's portraiture to Sports Photography. I've seen and worked with lots of photographers that look at lighting as "THE" crucial element of photography!>>>

My point was that not all children are angels when being photographed in a studio.

IMO, any adult is easier to work with than a child that really doesn't want to be there. And most any normal adult has a longer attention span than a child, so can be posed and lit in more ways than a child.

<<< I'd like to critique you children's portraiture - but your site seems to be down and you have lightening uploaded to PN. >>>

My normal site, www.douggrosjean.com, was hit by a worm about a week ago and will be down for an indeterminate time. The site is a hobby, and a lot of my writing exists elsewhere on the Net, so it's not a priority.

But tell you what - tonight I'll upload some portraits I have handy to my profile. Note that I'm *not* currently a proffessional portrait photographer - although I was, about 20 years ago.

The portraits I'll upload to my profile were shot mostly just for fun, although two (the Oilman) were shot specifically to illustrate a book I'd written. Currently, when I shoot a portrait for fun, I like to have the subject in an environment where they are at ease. Hence, the Oilman with his truck. My son in the bathtub, or asleep on the grass, or on the back of my motorcycle on a long trip at age 6, my Dad in his kitchen after doing the books.

My stuff probably won't be seen as art, but as straightforward portraiture. At least that's my guess.

Doug Grosjean