Are the projector screens the same for digital or film projectors?

RaymondC

<p>I am looking at projecting some 35mm slide film. I have a Kodak Carousel projector from my camera club. Need to look for a screen. Are the screens the same whether they are for digital projectors or analogue projectors?</p>

<p>Many thanks.</p>

<p>Check Goodwill & similar, camera stores (if there is one near) , junk shops, etc. Look for a clean , bright undamaged screen and easy operation of roller and stand. Not a lot of slide viewing going on, S/B able to get a good one cheaply. I am a bit out of touch on current digital, but a few years back, the screens used in the business world for Infocus & similar devices were the same as better screens for slide or movie projectors. Good luck!</p>

<p>Beaded screens are the brightest, but matte white screens offer a wider viewing angle and sharper rendition. Toward the end of the Carousel era, the most popular screens were "lenticular," a matte metallic surface, embossed with a lens pattern for a wider viewing angle. There is no difference in requirements between digital and film projection.</p>

<p>Generally speaking, a screen is a screen. Anything that will work for digital should work just fine for 35mm slides. In fact, any matte white wall (white, not off-white, ivory, etc.) will work fine.<br /><br />Traditional screens come in matte, glass beaded and lenticular. All work for film. I've never tried digital with a lenticular screen. Does the lens pattern cause any moire or other interference with the dot pattern (pixels) from a digital projector?<br /><br />If you're going out to buy anything, I would be cautious that anything that says digital on it it probably priced as least twice what it would be if it didn't say digital. I've heard of people paying hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a "digital" screen for their home theater when all they needed to do was paint the wallboard matte white.<br /><br />The screen in the picture you posted looks fine. The wrinkles you see are what you would see in any screen of that type. You may be able to get rid of them by adjusting the tension as the screen is pulled out. $50 U.S. would probably be reasonable for a screen like that new but if you can find one locally you can get it anywhere from free to about $10.<br /><br />Hanimex is a no-name name that has been around with photo product for years. If you have a choice, Da Lite is the best known screen brand, at least here in the U.S. Not sure if they sell where you are.<br /><br />Before you buy anything, try projecting against a wall. It might be all you need.<br /><br /></p>

<p>Cheers thanks for that. We don't get these stuff often here. I've put a wanted ad with a NZ photo forum.</p>

<p>That's $50NZ is $35US equiv. Maybe people just throw out old stuff. If I go to the second hand stores or pawn shops they would probably want at least $35US, they'll probably argue if anything less not worth their time. Over here they sell new Epson or Brateck but those go for $100US for a 65 inch 16:9. They charge us $25US for a roll of 35mm slides here and maybe $12US for a roll of Tmax. A few years ago I asked a store for a lightbox around 8x12 and I was told $100US.</p>

<p>Could try the Op Shop and Salvation Army etc .. doubt my chances though however. There seems to be more wall mounted types though, probably from offices who switch towards HDTV screens. Our place is wallpapered up, we just don't have a large area of wall anyway, many windows and if there is wall space the sofa is there. Has to be s self standing unit with a tripod.</p>

<p>Edit. That link I posted is our online auction (used). :) </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I'm sorry to say my screen disappeared years ago when my wife tidied up the closet. It probably went to Goodwill Industries. I inherited a Carousel projector last summer, which sadly met the same fate (definitely Goodwill). My screens now are 27" wide or less, and self-illuminated.</p>

<p>Ray,I agree with Craig, $35 isn't bad at all if you have to buy new. If you aren't certain you are that interested in slides long term, you can actually project on any smooth non reflective white surface. Half a sheet of Masonite and flat white spray paint wouldn't cost much here and would work quite well. Good luck!</p>

No space at all unless you count

the wall behind sofa or bedside

the bed. Or wall beside dining

table ir theyre tsken up by

cabinets.

New the cheapest is around 80us.

Used auctions are 14 to 35us.

The one in the link is used.

<p>A white painted wall does not reflect light as well as a real screen. It is more convenient though if there's one handy.</p>

<p>Another big issue is the projector lens. Better lenses are brighter with less distortion. Also, pick a lens that works for the distance to the screen you intend to put the projector. Wider angle lenses will project a larger image even though the projector is closer to the screen. But you have to make sure you get thee right lens. Not their are zoom lenses too that will change the size of the projected image. There are charts for calculating lens selection. Google it. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>A white painted wall does not reflect light as well as a real screen</p>

</blockquote>

<p>It depends on the screen. The real plus is the lack of texture of a well painted wall. Most brightscreens have some kind of texture that can interfere with viewing fine detail, if one is so inclined.</p>

Robin Smith

<p>Thanks all. I picked up that used screen with the stand for $24US. Yes just hobby use. Just no wall space over here. I guess one could do a ceiling mounted one and pull it down just passed the curtains .... </p>

<p>Was offered one for free by a local here but it had to be mounted. For home use analogue projectors are long gone. Are home use digital projectors gone as the dinosaur too?</p>