Are the moderators being subversive and locking out complaint posts?

kohanmike

Well, I'm surprised anyone has the patience to post anything anymore.<p><br>

If they don't sort out this auto-refresh "jumping page" issue, users are going to give up and leave in droves.<p><br>

I suspect the site is still in debug mode, but it doesn't look as if anyone's doing much debugging. Maybe the script-scribblers hired to create this disaster have done a runner. Since nobody at p.net will talk to us - who knows?

• Like 1

Looks like the moderators can't take the heat

he thread has not been removed, but redirected

Nothing like a good conspiracy theory: always assume the worst when the explanation is rather simple and benign. That thread didn't belong in the Nikon forum to begin with, and neither does this one. If this was the old site it would have been moved within hours of its creation (if not removed altogether).

The trouble is the redirect arrow does not redirect, it does nothing. It took me a while to find that the thread was moved to the Photo.net Help forum. I assume this thread will go there too. It also looks like Kohanmike has not posted recently, I wonder he he gave up. I'm new and find that this Photo.net forum interface to be very problematic with lots of unfinished operations. I can't upload an avatar, which I posted in the Help forum but it's not there now.

Photo.net is using XenForo, a forum software. Any coding done by photo.net would only be modifications.

I doubt there is more than one developer working on these modification. Which means that problems can only be resolved by XenForo, not by photo.net. Expect it to take a long time to get this show on the road.

My first post on this new forum. Wonder if it works...it did!

Guys, I found out about this photo.net 2.0 upgrade just like pretty much everybody else last week. I saw the internal message and then it happened a couple of hours later. It essentially caught all moderators by surprise. I am still trying to figure out how the new user interface works. If you have any concerns, you need to get in touch with Glenn Palm. I see a lot of people have trouble uploading images, etc.

There is "a team", of whom Glenn is not the developer, working on it. I assume many of the issues we've seen can't possibly be there on all XenForo systems, or nobody would be using it (although I'm aware that if they'd gone with an open source solution some of us might have been able to suggest fixes ourselves...) - so what's left comes down to how the system has been configured for photo.net. Clearly that needs work, and it appears that the developers are still finding their feet (which is the down side of not spending several years developing it yourself). Meanwhile, the site help forum seems to be the place to post issues, and there are some (user-run) threads there on how to make things work, kind of. Some of this is work-arounds, and I hope the development team sort out the mess given time. At least, that's what I hope; if issues like "write your reply" not going away, the text being greyed out and tiny, and the mobile view basically not working are all fundamental to the forum software rather than how it's configured, we're all in trouble.

The redirect arrow does not do anything, it just specifies that the post has been redirected. Before the lost post was completely moved, I was able to open it in this forum in the normal way, whereupon it continued in the help forum. It seems to have been completely moved now. That system may be clumsy and new, but it's not deleting.

The forum obviously has a few bugs still. At one point it lost my user name, but not my profile, and then refused to post without the name, which nothing seemed able to restore until I simply exited and came back. Another time in the Wednesday picture thread, it decided it could not load my pictures without telling me why, but allowed me to post a picture in edit mode. I'm sure there will be plenty of annoyances to come, but I think it's a little soon to assign them to a forum administrators' cabal.

Guys, I found out about this photo.net 2.0 upgrade just like pretty much everybody else last week. I saw the internal message and then it happened a couple of hours later

Very surprised that Photo.Net chose to do it this way. - Not a good way to gain user support.

Very surprised that Photo.Net chose to do it this way. - Not a good way to gain user support.

<br />

Yes - there's a fair bit of discussion on that in the site help forum, including some extensive commentary by me on how this was exactly the feedback we gave during the last new site roll-out. Still, we're here now (unless the site is so horribly broken that we end up reverting, like last time; I don't think we're quite there yet). Must move forward, and I'm trying to be supportive while the developers make their way through the issues list, even if I wish they'd got through a bit more of it before the new design was rolled out.

• Like 1

Interesting that as Photo.net has been around a while and has attracted a significant set of sophisticates in Photography, that it seems as if it is in a embryonic stage that should have been a long gone memory. Changing the format is not such a bad thing and I think the majority of users here would agree with that. The glitches have been many when considering the first attempt then aborted. The recent glitches I've experienced have been remedied very swiftly. At this juncture I'm not experiencing any posting glitches or image downloading issues other that there are times when there seems to be loading periods that can get stuck, but then they clear up, or when backed out of it then re-sets itself. What I am enjoying is that the images look better! That has always been a concern of mine is the awful compression result of the older version. While it seems that there's still room for improvement, the images look better and that to me is a starting point for a site like this. As for navigating forums and the template that exists to maneuver throughout P.Net, I'm thinking that theres a lot of thinking going into this. Unfortunately for the powers that be here, there are a hundred geniuses that err towards embitterment. It reminds me of Home owner association meetings where everybody vents and nothing gets done. At this point, again I applaud the efforts in the attempt to present P.Net in a more desirable way. There's more work to be done and as the issues get whittled down its a matter of knocking down the warts one at a time. I'm staying patient and hopeful.
  • Like 1

The old defaults for display have been altered, and you don't seem to have a preferences page yet.

Hence the order of disply may be date of first post, or date of most recent post (some ancient one of mine was at the top of the list a while ago).

Paranoia is probably always called for, but you need to make sure that they are really after you before you toss off a "tweet" like response.

The moderators are not an enemy of the people

I'm feeling really left out here - I've had no glitches I can recall, no jumping forums, images uploaded as I wanted them, comments beneath not lurching to one side, always going to the latest unread posting on whichever thread I view, and people actually liking some of my images ! What more could a pensioner with slight mobility issues want from life ?

What more could a pensioner with slight mobility issues want from life ?

<br><br>

Well, for one thing, just look at that terrible new logo!! The big blue dot is eating the little blue dot!! No little dots are going to want to join the new photo.net with that kind of treatment! And furthermore, the word net is not ecologically sensitive. Nets are bad news. Not that we want to be photo.hook, but maybe photo.softandpuffy would be better.

<br><br>

Well, for one thing, just look at that terrible new logo!! The big blue dot is eating the little blue dot!! No little dots are going to want to join the new photo.net with that kind of treatment! And furthermore, the word net is not ecologically sensitive. Nets are bad news. Not that we want to be photo.hook, but maybe photo.softandpuffy would be better.

LOL - this could be a discussion in and of itself. Don't you see it!? Its an artist palette!

Oh. Well. We are all artists, after all. At least you understand that.

<br><br>

On the other hand, the logo could be a coded message from the kidnapped-and-held-in-a-closet original photo.net site managers, which reads "N et photo.net" i.e. "n [Glen with an extra n] ate photo.net. HELP!"

Most of you who are downplaying the problems here only post on the forum side. Your only concern seems to be whether to "like" a picture or not in the No Words gallery. Let me assure you there are real problems here that have - for one reason or another - yet to be addressed. The forum side seems to work smoothly enough. The picture side is another matter as you can plainly see if you just look at the bug report posted by Leslie Reid at the beginning of this forum.. .

Julie H wrote :

"Well, for one thing, just look at that terrible new logo!! The big blue dot is eating the little blue dot!! No little dots are going to want to join the new photo.net with that kind of treatment! And furthermore, the word net is not ecologically sensitive. Nets are bad news. Not that we want to be photo.hook, but maybe photo.softandpuffy would be better."

Until you mentioned it, the logo had not registered. But, if you look closely, the big blue dot appears to be shielding the little blue dot, hence protecting it. It's all in interpretation. I agree entirely that certain kinds of net are ecologically bad news, having just seen a report on the number of sea birds caught in nets in the Pacific. However, in this instance, the word net is surely short for network, and many of our local nature reserves have a network of streams and pools providing sustenance and shelter for their residents.

I think, if you feel that photo.softandpuffy is the way to go, then a marked reduction in contrast and sharpening, together with a high ISO and no noise reduction could give interesting results - I look forward to your postings with interest.

You also posited :

"I object! I insist that I have the right not to complain."

Agreed - what we need is rigidly-defined areas of doubt and uncertainty.

• Like 1