Are Rangefinders Dead?

Great stuff, as usual. The mirror lens article was especially interesting. The "off-axis" mask to stop the mirror lens down is often used in Cassegrain and Newtonian reflectors today. For example, it allows a smaller but still effective solar filter at much less cost than full aperture. Also, fast Newtonian scopes can produce sharper, but less bright images where loss of light is not important, such as viewing planets.

For people that have trouble focusing mirror lenses borrow this trick from telescope focusing aids: Cut out a disk in black paper and make two identical holes on opposite sides of the correct. You may have to experiment for best size. When in place bright objects, especially highlights or bright spots will form a double image. Adjust focus to form a single point.

Overall, a great collection of articles. Many thanks.

• Like 2

Are Range Finders Dead?? I do not think so ! For those with a ton of money, Leica can arrange for you to part ways with it for one of their new beauties. The used market is going well, as attested to by the Range Finder forum thread. For those of us who might be labeled nickel nursers, FSU Feds, Zorkis & Kievs keep the art alive. . . just ask me ! I have a some what large collection of working Fed's & Zorki's and MF folders. Not dead at all. . .just in need of a good 12 step program. Aloha from the Mainland, Bill516153727_DSCF0862ces13rff-vert-horzrff.jpg.a298d2accb22049948135a6cbd37c229.jpg

Marc, again thanks for these posts and your web site - a great resource.

Even the great 60's RF cameras could not stop the SLR tide. Several of them are shown in the picture of the article. Wish that the older Leica prices had kept down!

I got something from Sherman's column this time. Critical frequency for contrast in lenses is about 30 lines per mm.

The article on mirror lenses using excentric aperture disks was very interesting; I might yet try this. Had to be Keppler.

Special mention for the Soviet article on their problems. Wish someone that was in the USSR at the time could comment!

Love those Isolettes in your post Bill, especially with their colorful bellows. They were always one of my favorite folders. Even the bottom line Agnar triplet is capable of taking wonderful shots, and the polished aluminum finish on these cameras is prettier to me than the somewhat gaudy Zeiss folders. The Agfas had iffy bellows on many of their models, but their folding lens/strut assembly was one of the sturdiest in the business. My preference was for the Agfas that had no rangefinder because they were such simple cameras. Just guesstimate the distance, stop it down and shoot.

Is there a reason you don't like the rangefinder cameras Vincent? They can be quite small and light, but I agree, nothing beats seeing the image come into focus on a SLR. You just have to be OK with carrying a larger, heavier and often noisier camera.

Edited by steve_mareno|1

Thanks for the compliment Steve. The Isolettes (all models) were built like tanks (for a folder) but the weak point in design was the bellows. Agfa use some sort of synthetic material (read "Plastic" !") & over time light leaks in the bellows were like the night sky. Also, the lubricating grease turned into crayon. . hence their world renown "Green Grease" name. All my Isolettes & several 6x9's were CLA'd & bellows replaceed by Jurgen Krackel of Certo6 fame. My Iso's have the Apotar lenses because I wanted a 10 sec shutter timer which only the Prontor shutter assembly has. I use the Iso 2 for scenic or tripod work and the range finder equipped (uncoupled) Iso 3 when "faster" work requires mostly hand held operation. Great cameras which can fit into my back pocket !. Aloha from the Mainland, Bill