Are photography workshops worth the money?

ashishgarg

<p>Sorry for an abrupt question, but here are the things I would like to understand:<br>

1. How do you evaluate the price/value for a workshop. I understand this is very subjective, but considering the range of prices for a similar workshop for a capable user (somebody with the good foundation of camera equipment, lighting and composition), how do you know which workshop will give you the best value. What is anybody's matrix to determine it?<br>

2. It is not clear to me from reading the description of most of the workshops on what exactly will I learn, apart from being at the right place at the right time with the right set of people. I see that this is a big win already, but how does that help me find another set of these "rights" later on without going through another workshop?<br>

3. Do these make you a better leader? No, seriously, will these workshops teach me to be able to lead a group of people to an excursion of my own and help them improve their skills?<br>

Thanks!</p>

<p>It depends from personal experience, most workshops cram so much information down your throat that it is impossible for you to retain all that stuff, unless you take good notes.<br>

Another trick is for the host to wittle down the alloted time that you have paid for. For example the host arrives late, or they give long lunch breaks, or they allow you to leave early as if they are doing you a favor ? Meanwhile you Paid this much dollars for this reported amount of time ! It seems like a rip-off. <br>

If it's just about big business then stay away, but a personal coach is not a bad idea. Personally I like Videos that you can play over and over again, this way you get you money's worh...</p>

<p>I agree with Harry, it is hard to know in advance unless you do some really deep digging and get to talk with previous participants. I doubt that a photography workshop will help you build leadership skills, that's an entirely different ball of wax.</p>

<p>Workshops usually are niche oriented, such as fashion, landscape, wildlife, etc....and lighting might be part of it. It would be v. difficult to do a general photography workshop since it would take too much time. There were few (Rockport comes to mind) that would do an extensive overview of set ups....interior and exterior....and they usuallly lasted 7-10 days (quite expensive).</p>

<p>As to your #2....you need to do some research and check out the work of your instructor/s. Things are much easier today than say in 70's or 80's....without having to travel to exhibits and see their photos. Furthermore, you need to speak up and have it in writing what exactly you'll be learning. Some of these operators don't include <em>everything</em>, so you'll return for the next program they offer.</p>

<p>Unless you scruitinize the way the workshop is ran, that could help you understand what's a success program and what is not. I'm quite sure that you can gain (leadership) knowledge through variety of other sources....and without spending crazy money, such as practical community college course/es that target this sort of niche, also videos, library materials....and Google is your friend, as well.</p>

<p>Good luck.</p>

<p>Les</p>

<p>A number of years ago I was considering returning to full-time professional photography and as a preparation attended a number of workshops organised by a certain individual in South-West England (now deceased). A major problem with this particular venue was the organizer's need to project himself as an omniscient guru, although he had nothing like the necessary skills, knowledge or experience. A further problem was that the pros leading the workshops clearly thought "I'm getting about half my usual day rate for this, so I'll treat it half as teaching and half as a holiday." A third problem was that the workshop room was equipped with junk chairs which gave those sitting on them back pain, while the darkroom contained ancient enlargers which had been given free and was so filthy that I could not stay in it for more than 20 minutes before my dust allergy (acquired in dirty darkrooms to begin with) got the better of me. Then there were things like the various types of b+w film which participants had shot being processed all together for an average developing time, making a mockery of the process. <br>

The workshops were advertised as being suitable for all levels - in practice this meant beginner/intermediate level or close to it. The best I can say is that attending these workshops cost me much less than giving up work and doing an MA course and also saved me from what would have been a very bad career decision to give up my writing/translation practice. Of all the workshops I attended, one with Martin Parr was easily the best - most of the other workshop leaders were just going through the motions, one led by a former LIFE photographer was so bad that I had a flaming row with the organizer, walked out and never went back again.</p>

<p>Of course the value of any instruction begins with the level of training you have now. Think of it this way. It is one thing to know how studio lighting works and quite another to be expert in it. You said that you have a pretty good knowledge of the fundamentals. So first of all you would probably not want to take courses that are geared for beginners. If you read the course description carefully you can probably figure out what these are. <br>

So what happends is that most photographers (including and maybe even especially pros) tend to learn how to do a few things well and then they do them over and over. One can be quite successfull with a very narrow skill set. In time we get into a rut and we not only get tired of what we are doing this lack of creative spark begins to show in our work. Workshops can help get that spark back in three ways. First there are new ideas that you can take to work. Second there is the opportunity to rub shoulders with other photographers and see what they are doing. I always pay particular attention to the questions other photographers ask as they give me a good insight into what others are seeing and doing. And third it is an opportunity reinforce what we are doing well now. It doesn't hurt to find out that what you are doing is a good idea.</p>

<p>Here is the thing about photographers. Some people have one year of experience. Some people have 20 years of experience. But the vast majority of people have one year of experience 20 times. They just simply do not get that much better. As time passes they get a bigger body of work and they can select a greater number of winners with which to salt their portfolio. But the majority do not get that much better than they were when they just had a few years or even less of experience. Workshops are a way to make a photographer confront his/her real level of competence in a wide variety of skills.</p>

<p>I think it is a mistake to go to these events expecting a road to Damascus experience. You are not going to pay $100.00 and come home Joe McNally. But you can go see him and learn some pretty good things from him. I recently did a TTL workshop he had. I thought I was the God of TTL in my neighborhood. And I came home with a couple of new ideas; a couple of new techniques and the movivation to put these ideas and techniques to work. And I got to see Joe McNally again. </p>

<p>So I guess what I am saying is that what you get out of these courses really has a lot to do with your attitude walking in and your willingness to leave your ego at the door. There are some bad ones but hey, we didn't have all winning teachers in college either. So I recommend that you give them serious consideration. Don't go there expecting to come out a master of any subject. Rather go there looking for a few more arrows for your quiver. </p>

<p>One other thing off topic. You can create your own workshops. Do it by befriending local professionals and volunteering to assist them or second shoot. Not all will do it. I am reserved about letting people follow me around but if they are sincere and mature about it I don't mind sharing. So consider doing that. There is nothing like one-on-one, real world experience. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Unfortunately, it is difficult to judge how much you will get out of workshop until you have experienced it. I have attended a few and always get something from the session, some more then others. The workshop leader is crucial to its success. Also important is the makeup of the other participants and how your level of interest relates to theirs. There are also many uncontrollable factors such as weather.<br>

Do some research on the instructor(s) and feedback from prior students. Go with the one you finally choose with the attitude of having fun and being open to learn.</p>

<p>It really all depends on the workshop, and more importantly the instructor, and the instructors experience and their ability to communicate effectively with the class they are teaching. Over the last 2 years I've attended the photo assistant boot camp http://photoassistantbootcamp.com as well as the studio lighting workshop http://studiolightingworkshop.com both presented by James of 1prophoto.com. James previously worked as a photo assistant for a lot a big name photographers such as: Mark Seliger, Steven Klein, Annie Leibovitz among others before going on to shoot on his own. During his 2 day workshops he showed us and explained the details of the lighting setups he created for these photographers. Probably the best thing about these events is that it was a real hands-on workshop, and the depth of James photo lighting knowledge was astounding and just flowed out of him like a river. He explained in very clear concise details every aspect of the lighting setups, as well and making sure that we were all comfortable and well versed on the equipment we were using. Mostly Profoto studio strobes, but he did introduce some KinoFlo's and HMI's. and lots of lighting modifiers. Again the best thing about these workshops was James willingness to pass along his knowledge but more importantly his ability to make everyone feel that they were getting individual attention. I absolutely feel that these workshops were 2 of the best I have ever taken. And the proof was evident when I was able to apply everything I learn in the following weeks on the jobs I was shooting. Well worth the investment.</p>

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<p>Multiple variables to consider:<br>

1. How do you learn? I'm not much of a workshop guy--I prefer books or online (over workshop or videos). Even if you like workshop, does it say anything about a participant guide/text book/handouts? I think this matters the most--b/c a good workshop will be wasted on someone who doesn't like to learn from this method.<br>

2. How diverse will the participants be? I don't mean diverse in terms of differences or uniqueness but diverse in terms of experience range? A wide range of experience usually means less detailed focus. Generally a workshop that is very targeted or has pre-requisites is more likely to deliver exactly what you expect.<br>

3. Size? A big group grope can still be valuable. They're more likely to be about listening to a sage on the stage rather than lots of interaction and application. If all you want is info, go to a bigger workshop. If you want to practice using "it" and get immediate feedback and ask follow-up questions than go for a workshop with several sessions or has a limited size (8 or less).</p>