Are permits required for "amatuer" photography - CA specifically

In another conversation my interest was piqued by this “news” article:

https://petapixel.com/2017/06/09/lag...-shoot-public/

My opinion was (and is) that the fees mentioned would only be applicable to “professional” photographers, that is to say those photographers who are charging customers for their services.

Further, my opinion is that the differentiation between “non-commercial” and “commercial” relates to the usage of the images – and specifically that “non-commercial” does NOT mean “amateur photographer making photos”

In a nutshell my question is, especially to those who are experienced in the law and or who are experienced in shooting in that area:

If I were strolling down the beach as a tourist or as a local and I took a few “amateur” pictures of my family or my dog or my friends – would I require a permit so to do?

WW

"Commercial" generally means "for advertising purposes" so don't worry about it. Often, such as in popular county parks and other scenic locations, the intent is to require permits of large "commercial" shoots with lights, crews, lights on stands, etc. Not to discourage you from taking a picture of the sunset with your sweetie.

Oddly enough I have some experience with this, but in New York City, so it's only peripherally relevant.

You do (even as an amateur) need a City Permit to use a tripod in many NYC parks & so on. It goes back, historically to the early days of photography, when exposure s of several minutes were the norm & everything was on a tripod. It became a very popular hobby & literally hundreds of tripods were constantly blocking paths & so on.

I got one (IIRC $7.00 for 10 years) a long time back & never needed it until one day when I was asked if I had a permit as someone had complained to the police.

He almost passed out when I said:

"Oh yes, right here!"

& produced one!

• Like 2

There are also anti-paparazzi laws that create privacy and buffer zones a entrances and exits of facilities, such as schools or medical facilities (mostly to keep photos of children off of tabloids). Ref: California Assembly Bill 1256 (AB 1256) - Privacy and Buffer Zones, signed by the Governor into law in September 2014. While it applies to the entire state, the largest impact was to the LA area.

Thanks for all the replies.

I have since located the "Municipal Code" which appears to be the law which underpins the information shown on the Laguna Beach City website and the document from the Community Services Department, which the news article published.

It appears to me that the necessity to get a permit to photograph at Laguna Beach, is only necessary if the photographer involved in a commercial activity (irrespective of the USE of the photographs),

Additionally my understanding is that photographer who is involved in an amateur activity of taking photos at Laguna, does not require a permit to take those photos.

(I already understood) anyone taking photos might be subject to laws regarding the use of tripods - and this probably apples in the City of Laguna.

BTW - I think that the news article was poorly researched and the headline and some of the content were hyperbole and allusive, possibly seeking an emotional response: but,on the other hand, the document cited in the article, i.e. "CITY OF LAGUNA BEACH Community Services Department - NON-COMMERCIAL STILL PHOTOGRAPHY PERMIT PROCEDURES AND POLICIES" appears to me to be worded clumsily and it is open to incorrect interpretation. These features were what initially piqued my interest.

WW

Permits are required when using professional lighting equipment and accessories that requires light stands which rest on the ground or wires that run on the ground. It does not matter if your a pro or not. You do not need a permit if you can hand hold any of your equipment while shooting. Tripods in NYC are considered hand held and do not require a permit. NYC permits for shooting on the streets run around $300. Online requests forms are required for shooting in Parks. Hand held rules apply. You will have to google your local gov office website for your local rules.

Permits are required when using professional lighting equipment and accessories that requires light stands which rest on the ground or wires that run on the ground. It does not matter if your a pro or not. You do not need a permit if you can hand hold any of your equipment while shooting. Tripods in NYC are considered hand held and do not require a permit. NYC permits for shooting on the streets run around $300. Online requests forms are required for shooting in Parks. Hand held rules apply. You will have to google your local gov office website for your local rules.

Great info Michael, but the OP specifically asked about California!