Are multicoated filters too hard to clean?

jason_chen3

Hello,

I went to my local camera store and asked for Hoya HMC or Super HMC

UV and Circular Polarizer filters for my Canon 17-40L lens. The store

owner told me that so many of his customers had trouble cleaning

their multicoated Hoya filters that he doesn't carry them any more.

He said the regular Hoya (single coated) filters are good enough. I

wonder, does cleaning multicoated filters present such a problem that

people would not use them? If you have Hoya (Super) HMC filters, do

you have trouble cleaning them? if not, how do you clean? if you do,

would B+W MRC filters be easier to clean?

thanks,

Jason

Somebody please enlighten me why MC filters would be harder to clean... I can't see any reason. All I can guess is that's it's an issue of perception, where the same dust, lint or cleaning marks may be more visible on MC filters than on others.

Sounds like he/she simply didn't have them but still wanted to make a sale. I think I've given up on 'local' camera shops. Being quoted $60 for a sunpak polarizer ($26 adorama), was the last time straw for me.

I would be in favor of supporting a local store, but it's just too frustrating most of the time. My thinking is to do all your research on places like photonet and then you can order exactly what you want online. -e

I don't believe it should be harder to clean multi-coated filters than single or uncoated filters. Perhaps it is easier to spot grease marks on multicoated filters since even a very thin fat stain is clearly visible on a multicoated filter (or my old pair of glasses) whereas it would only be noticable if you tilt the filters to get reflection glare on cheaper filters.

But the same grease is still there, as hard to get off and will create the same problems (increasing chance of flare etc).

I guess that the store clerk either wanted to fool you into buying a filter he couldn't get rid of or he is uninformed and believes that "easer to spot grease" equals "harder to remove grease". Either way get the best coated filters you can afford. It is silly to put bad glass in front of your precious lenses.

Actually, good multi-coating often have a outer hardened layer to make it EASIER to clean without scratching the coating.

Jason, I have to echo the responses from Chris and Max. I've got two of the Hoya Super HMC filters and was frustrated by the same problem in keeping them darned things streak-free. The only way I ever got 'em really clean was washing in a mild detergent and drying with a microfiber cloth. Max's observation may be right on -- perhaps it's easier to see the smears on the HMC's. I have no experience with the B+W MRC's but my understanding is that these have a very hard surface coating to aid in cleaning without scratching. BTW, my Hoyas are sitting in my spares boxes. I've been quite happy using B+W's and Heliopans (single-coated) without any problems or complaints.

There is some validity. Singh-Ray is a very elite and top of the line filter maker. Their filters are usually about $180-$200 a pop and they go out of their way to help you and can custom make filters if you wish.

I bought a warming circular polarizer from them, and the day I got it went to their website and saw they had their circular polarizer was "multi-coated" in the page talking about it. I was like what the heck I just bought this $200 filter and they come up with a coated one the day after! I called and told them I want to ship mine back and get the coated one. Bob Singh himself took the matter very seriously and said it was a mistake of the webmaster, their response in October 2002 about coatings was

"May I ask where you saw that we now have them coated? We've

experimented with coatings in the past (years ago) but found that the coatings are too easily scratched, thus negating any benefit they might give. We do not use coatings." Those of you, like me who ever wondered why Singh-Ray filters, very expensive and high quality aren't coated now ya know.

I own the Hoya Super HMC circ polarizer, and the first thing I noticed was it is a pain to clean. They seem to smudge, as I try to clean it it was like I was moving a light coating of maple syrup. Maybe that's the coating and it's ruined :P Kidding, tests show it's still got coating. Let me tell you right now the Super HMC works. You can take a non-coated filter and see reflections in it very obviously, you can take a Super HMC and barely see any. I planned on making a photography movie on filters and showed the differences between the two and I apologize I don't have a movie of the difference. Get the Super HMC polarizer... and take my word of advice don't get the UV filter. Those two were my first filters (years and years ago) and after a month my UV filter was just used to put on my lenses I stored. I never use it in application. However, a coated Hoya 81A warming filter instead is critical... almost the same thing but works wonders for shade, and people, and compliments your polarizer perfectly when you combine them, you've got yourself a warming polarizer! It does wonders for landscapes, sunsets, it's just incredibly versatile and useful... once you take pictures in the shade and notice your images are flat and blue... you'll figure out you need a warming filter to counter shade and liven up some if not all of your photo's. Then you'll most likely realize, you love it and keep it on at all times... retiring the UV filter. Some even put an 81A & Polarizer in a single filter combo, Hoya calls theirs the "Moose Peterson" but never bothered to coat it those jerks, it stinks when the sun glares.

I'd definetely get the Super HMC polarizer, of all filters that need coating the polarizer is it (with glares and sun). If you go the UV route or better the 81A warming filter instead, it's a filter that's okay not to be coated because likely you'll use it indoors or shade and glare & sun isn't as much a problem but if you have the money get it at least coated, it compliments your polarizer well, a UV is useless in combo with a polarizer.

By the way, on your 17-40L lens the filters will vignette at 17-24mm and probably like 17-30mm with both filters on unless you get the thin ring ones or your camera is digital and doesn't take full frame. If I had a choice of only two filters for the rest of my life, I'd pick the Blue/Gold polarizer and a warming filter. Been two years now and I've only used my plane circular polarizer twice for landscapes and over 3,000+ photo's with the Blue/Gold polarizer. It rocks, I'm also exclusively a landscape photographer and there's plenty of water where I live... the blue/gold really shines when there's water, but tends to add a magenta to people's skin and clouds.

Cheers!

I have the Hoya HMC UV filters, and they are harder to clean because smears do seem to be harder to remove. Probably due to the coatings, the surfaces of the filter have a different "slippery-ness" to them than a regular filter. The surfaces aren't as slick--there is more resistance when you rub with a lens cleaning cloth. So far, I've cleaned them by breathing on them and wiping with a microfiber cleaning cloth. It takes more repeated wipings than with a regular filter to get the smears off. I haven't had the need to use a liquid cleaner yet, but I did buy some from The Filter Connection, which recommends the cleaner for multicoated filters. You can go to their website--2filter.com. As to whether multicoated filters are better--it is hard to say. I can only say I haven't had any bad flare or reflections traceable to the filter or lack thereof.

I have used both uncoated and multicoated Hoyas in addition to coated and uncoated B+W filters and find that the multicoated Hoyas are a pain to clean. Like others have mentioned, if you get any little bit of grease on them, it is really difficult if not impossible to get off with just your breath and a microfiber cloth. I found that Formula MC works pretty well to clean the multicoated Hoyas but because of the trouble cleaning them, I stopped using them and only use multicoated B+Ws these days which are easy to clean.

It's not a joke. Hoya Super HMC filters are a pain to clean. They seem to have a tooth to them that makes any lens cleaning paper break up into little dust balls all over the surface. I've had success with formula MC and a microfiber cloth, or even easier, by using the Lenspen.<p>In contrast the single coated Hoya filters are very easy to clean.<p>I've not tried the B+W, although they are also reputed to be easier to clean than the multicoated Hoyas.

<em>"The store owner told me that so many of his customers

had trouble cleaning their multicoated Hoya filters that he

doesn't carry them any more. He said the regular Hoya (single

coated) filters are good enough." --Jason Chen<br>

</em><br>

<strong>The store owners answer show ignorance at best.</strong><br>

<br>

First the single coated lenses and filters reflect about the same

amount of light as a typical residue left by a soap based lens

cleaner like Kodak Lens Cleaner (At least the Kodak Lens Cleaner

I bought in the 70s). This makes it difficult to see the

smears that are left but they are there.<br>

<br>

Multi-coated lenses and filters reflect less light than single

coated and Super Multi-coated even less. This makes the smears

that now reflect more light than the clean surface of the multi-coated

lens or filter stand out.<br>

<br>

The simple solution: Nikon recommends Absolute Methyl Alcohol for

its view camera lens such as the 210/5.6 Nikkor-W in the manual

enclosed with the lens. In the manual for the 55/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor

Nikon recommends Absolute Ethyl Alcohol. Using a quality lens

tissue and finishing with a Micro-Fiber Lens Cloth you can clean

without damage any multi or super multi-coated lens or filter. Ive

bought all of my methanol from TRI-ESS Sciences, Inc., Burbank,

CA 91506. The micro lens cloths I like best are the ones made by

Pentax. They are available from B&H Photo and local Pentax

dealers.<br>

<br>

Ive been using nothing but 99.5% Anhydrous Methyl Alcohol

on Nikkor, Hasselblad, Pentax 6x7 and others since September or

October of 1978.<br>

<br>

I have had no problems with Hoya HMC filters and none with Nikkor

lenses back to a vintage of 1965. I did have a problem with a

vintage 1973~75 Schneider 135/5.6 Componon-S Enlarging lens. The

lens was not damaged but the blacking around the lens was smeared

and had to be removed and replace.<br>

<br>

I do not recommend the use of Methyl Alcohol on vintage camera as

it my cut the lacquer if used on the lens or body. YMMV! Ive

been so satisfied with anhydrous methyl alcohol that Ive

never tired ethyl but in a pinch Id buy 98 proof vodka as a

lens cleaner. 98 Proof Vodka is 49% Ethyl Alcohol, 51% distilled

water.<br>

<br>

There is a big difference between single-coated and multi-coated

lenses and filters in many but not all applications. I would

avoid single coated.<br>

<br>

Regards,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

<em>"Absolutely so!If you use Kodak lens cleaner, or

similar fluid on a MC filter,the "swirls" will never

come out!" --Steve Levine<br>

</em><br>

Yes they will. All of my B&W filters are HOYA HMC. I smeared

them with Kodak Lens Cleaner and removed it all years ago with

Anhydrous Methyl Alcohol.<br>

<br>

---<br>

<br>

Im astounded at all those who report giving up the

advantages of multi-coated filters due to cleaning problems,

particularly Hoya HMC and Nikon L37c as most of my filters are

one or the other.<br>

<br>

Please give Anhydrous Methyl Alcohol a try. Please do not use it

on a vintage camera such Leica or Contax. Please read my post

above.

Having read all the reports of cleaning problems, problems I

put behind in late 1978 Im willing to cut the store owner

some slack. I still do not agree due to more than 25 years of

satisfaction with HOYA HMC filters.<br>

<br>

Im sorry about being so wordy and three post in a row but I

never dreamed this knowledge was in anyway obscure. Its in the

Nikon lens manuals and Id think it other brands as well.<br>

<br>

Best,<br>

<br>

Dave Hartman.

• 7 years later...

<p>I would just like to add that according to my experience, too, Hoya multicoated filters are extremely difficult (impossible?) to clean properly :-(<br>

I have no difficulty with other brands or even with lenses.</p>