Are hot shoe sync connections the next thing to disappear?

Discussion in 'Casual Photo Conversations' started by AJG, Sep 8, 2021.

1. "What good's a metronome without a bell that ri-ings? How can anybody ever know it swi-ings?“

And what good's a hotshoe that ain't hot? :confused:

2. I have a klugy work-around.

Put/tape a diverter on the front of the pop up flash.

The diverter is a U shaped piece of opaque material.
    Lay the diverter on it's side. so the opening of the U is over the flash.
    The light from the flash hits the diverter, then goes to the side, not the front.
    If you put an optical slave/trigger on the side, it will detect the diverted light.
    The optical trigger would either 1) be wired to the studio flash, or 2) connected to a RF trigger that would then trigger the studio flash.

Then reduce the output on the pop-up to where it will reliably trigger the optical slave.

3. You might even be able to put the optical slave on the not-so-hot shoe and put a bit of white card on the end of a stick out in front of it - assuming that the pop-up flash will physically clear the slave trigger.

I've done the card-bounce-to-the-side trick with my Instax cameras, works well, sometimes I only hold it over half the flash, if I want a bit of fill/catchlight.

4. AJG

AJG

Thanks for the suggestions, but my students aren't that experienced and making the process so involved in just getting the flashes to go off isn't where I like to devote their time and energy. I've managed to solve the immediate crisis satisfactorily, but I did want to learn if other brands/models had done similar things to make their cameras less useful and I also wanted to alert other photographers/instructors about this issue. This is probably just a symptom of continuing technological "progress" in photography--making the equipment easier to use by removing potential choices from the photographer, as annoying as that often is.

Jochen likes this.