Archival Negatives from Digital?

As some of you may know I am an architect, and photography of architectural subjects is integral to my practice. I would like to be able to submit photos of historical subjects to the National Park Service's Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS). Due to the very seriously archival nature of this collection they are extremely strict in the media that they will accept. There is no allowance in the program for digital source files. Only large-format negatives/slides and/or archival-grade prints are accepted. The prints I can manage, but I'm wondering if anyone has come across a process that creates high-quality, negative or positive, large format images on polyester film, such that they can be stored and used as for traditional negatives/slides on polyester? I know the "simple" answer is to shoot large format film, but transitioning to this format, with all of the associated gear and training, is simply not viable. I shoot with a D810 and excellent Nikkor lenses, so it ought to be possible to make the quality of image required. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you, and happy trails...

Hi, I suspect that your best option would be to send the files out to someone with a high-quality film recorder, such as a Kodak LVT. (I think these have been out of production for ~ 15 years?)

I would suggest to have them make your negs a little larger than the "specs" would seem to require. (I can recount some experience if you want.)

An alternative method, assuming you have the prerequisite "large format" camera, is to make a largish high-quality print, then photograph that onto film. Copying like this is not as simple as meets the eye; a high-quality print normally has boosted mid-range contrast compared to the original scene. (There used to be special copy films to help deal with this.) So depending on how accurate the tone reproduction details need to be, and how knowledgeable you are about this...

I'd look careful at the HABS/HAER requirements to make sure these options are acceptable before wasting time/money. Best of luck.