michael_reichmann1

I've just learned that I have to go to Salt Lake City in late

January. So, I've decided to add a 4 day shoot in Arches and

Canyonlands as well.

I've photographed there before (usually Fall) and know the locations

reasonably well, but I have no idea what to expect this time in terms

of weather. I'm assuming fairly cold, but how much snow is likely in

late January? I've seen wonderful photographs of the Arches covered

in snow and the contrast of red rock and white snow is quite stunning.

Is driving in the area ever an issue due to snow accumulation? I'll

be renting an Explorer 4WD. Any other advice from someone who's shot

there in winter?

Thanks

Michael

www.luminous-landscape.com

I went in late January last year over a weekend and there was no snow. In the morning before dawn temperatures were around 19 degrees F. By noon the were around 40 degrees F. I doubt this means anything. The weather varies wildly from a temperature and moisture perspective there that time of year. You should just pray the weather works for you since your travel plans aren't flexible. One advantage of going then is that you shouldn't be running into many people. I counted two cars in Canyonlands while I was there. It was more like twenty cars in Arches. The only place there were many people was at Delicate Arch. Maybe this is an anomaly. One recommendation, shoot from Dead Horse State Park one morning to get a great shot of the Colorado goosenecks in Canyonlands. Good shooting.

Hi Michael,

As the previous reply stated, the weather can change drastically out here. A few years ago, I experienced a high pressure system that brought cool air down from the north and the temps dropped to -5F at mid-day. Add some wind and it's rather uncomfortable.

As for snow, I wouldn't expect anything deep and more than likely, none at all. You'd have to get there right after a fresh snow for good shots. In this arid environment, snow evaporates and melts quickly.

Bring lots of film and lots of warm (wind proof) clothes. Hopefully you wont need the clothes. Good Luck and Enjoy!

Regards,

Be ready for cold rain/wet snow -- not that you'll get it (like we did), but just be ready for it. We had snow and slush at Zion, Bryce, Arches and Canyonlands in late December. I have 4WD, but we didn't need it. Warm, waterproof boots we did need. Arches was especially superb. I don't recall there being any other overnight campers in our spot, and they'd thrown some hay on the tent sites which was nice. We also got "first tracks" in the snow at Canyonlands, at that oft-photographed arch (whose name now eludes me). If you look through the arch, you see a rock formation called the Washer Woman in the left corner, far distance. Sometimes you'll see advertising pix of that arch, and they've switched the Washer Woman over to the right....

Was there Dec last yr. temps ranged from -5 at Bryce Cyn (9000ft elev) to mid 40's daytime. Wind is typical. Snow seemed to be a permanent feature. That -5 was a dry -5 though so in the sun it was really quite warm. Bryce Cyn was snowy but had no other trouble. Crowds were nonexistant. 13 visitors at Capitol Reef the day before I was there. Probably ran into 12 people in Arches.

Dress warm and sleep warm!