Arca Swiss B-1 Main Knob Frozen

john_catapano2

<p>Hi All, <br>

I'm having a problem with my Arca Swiss B-1. I've had the ballhead for about 15 years and have always had problems with freeze-up. I actually haven't used it all that much in the last few years, but did today, and its frozen. This time, however, the main knob is frozen. Won't move in either direction. I tried using a set of pliers on it, and only succeeded in moving the rubber around the knob. Any suggestions on how to fix?</p>

<p>Some older models were prone to jamming in the way you describe. The general fix is to tighten (not loosen) the main control knob until you can back off the tension preset (the hub of the main control knob). Mine is newer than that, but in time the ball would jam even if the control knob were backed off. I would strike the camera platform with the palm of my hand, and all would be well (for a while).</p>

<p>I now use a couple of Really Right Stuff ball heads, which are extremely simple - BH55 and BH40. They don't have the oblate ball, but the tension is easy to manage and the controls are very smooth. Unlike the Arca B-1, there is no noticeable jump on tightening, which you notice with a long lens or in closeups.</p>

<p>If you get a new head, send the old B-1 in for repairs and possible updating. There are many likeable features in the B-1 not found in any other head. The smooth gradient from loose to locked is <em>sine qua non</em>.</p>

All I can add is that you remember to store it unlocked and ball loose. It is still a good item and I use it now and then along with my smaller RRS model.

B-1 got me started on the Arca Swiss plates which are now ubiquitous. My B-1 is also over 15 years and only one freeze up. Quickly solved.