Arbus exhibition in New York?

bobatkins

This would probably be the Revelations exhibit that I was so impressed by (and confused by) that when it was here in LA I went three times to see it. Highly recommended. If I recall correctly, it's to be held at MoMA. If anybody attends, please post your thoughts about it here.

I've seen this show in SF and LA. It's definitely worth seeing, there's more than just what's been seen before. Quite a few prints were made from negatives that Arbus didn't print, her notebooks are on display, there's lots of historical material. It's worth picking a time when the fewest people will be there, because there's so much stuff to look at and it's easy to feel pressured to move on with a large crowd. When I went in SF, it was too crowded to stop much, in LA, I went on a holiday weekend when everyone was out of town and enjoyed it much more.

This exhibit is well worth seeing. I had the opportunity when it was in Lawrence, Kansas a few weeks ago. As Jeff notes, there are more than photos at which to look. Some of the notebooks and unpublished works are as interesting as what's been published. Worth the time!

yeah, should be a great show.........now I just gotta pick a time when it ain't too crowded.<br><br>

be forewarned though, for those that bring cameras, most art museum's policy on photography is that "special" exhibitions, which is what this is for the MET, are not allowed to be photographed. Only what is in that museum's permanent collection is allowed to be photographed.<br><br>

<a href="http://www.metmuseum.org/visitor/index.asp#Policy">Photography Policy</a><br><br>of course, what ever one can get away with....heh

Tom, would probably be best to make several visits. I ended up going twice when the show

was at SF MOMA last year and wished I went one more time. There were probably close to

300 photographs and a mock-up of her studio that was packed with her enlarger, tacked

up loose prints, books, notebooks, cameras, etc. And rather than being laid out linearly in

a large room, there were a series of smaller rooms and spaces that connected. Nice for

getting an intimate feeling of her work and life, but not so efficient for pushing through

tons of people. It was an amazing show.

www.citysnaps.net

Saw the show this morning. Really exceptional exhibit with much new material. The "Libraries" are a bit small and will probably fill up quickly, since much of the display -- journals, contact sheets, etc, invite close scrutiny. My advice is to try for a weekday if possible, or go early Saturday or Sunday morning. Enjoy.

The Met is closed on Mondays, but they are offering special Monday viewings from 11am to 3pm. The tickets are $50 each. Sounds like a lot, but still cheaper than a Broadway show! I'm definately considering it. There is a link for more info on the webpage Ed linked to above.

I think the $50 price tag is for viewing during hours the MET is normally closed so you don't have a large number of people in the exhibit all at once. I hope you ppl in NY can see it during normal museum hours for considerably less. I recommend the book as well. Howard Nemerov is Diane Arbus' brother and a poet of some distinction in the academic circles of the East. With no disrespect to Mr. Nemerov, Diane Arbus is the real poet in the family. In the book you can read a from her journals, applications for Guggenheim grant, childhood autobiographies, dreams, letters. Her daughter and the curator from SFMOA who put together the show and book did a good job of giving you a real sense of who Arbus was and what mattered to her. I would give up my Leica to have been able to take a class with her.

"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know."<BR><BR>

"Nothing is ever the same as they said it was. It's what I've never seen before that I recognize."<BR><BR>

"It would be beautiful to photograph the winners of everything from Nobel to bobby prize, clutching trophy, or money or certificate, solemn or smiling or tear stained or bloody, on the precarious pinnacle of the human landscape."

I was at the Met this Saturday afternoon, and it wasn't outrageously busy (for NYC...) Anyway, the show is amazing, and it keeps going on into more and more rooms than I could have imagined possible. But the surprising part was her enlarger. Not that there was anything particularly special about her enlarger, but standing there, with one of her negs projected right in front of me, I got chills. I'm not typically all that interested in by the historical pieces and letters and stuff--I usually pay all of my attention to the art--but this was truly moving.

I recommend it.