April 18th Oly/Pana POTW

Sanford

<p>Another open shade study from 4/7/11 session. Since this was a test run, I will bore all with as much tech stuff as you could want I think. Covered patio around 1130AM, sunny day; two silver surface reflectors fairly close. (But not close enough as I look at the face, I want more glow and punch in future). Model has tawny skin and was comfortable on my Photek solid and safe upholstered posing bench. One 2 yr old Reflectasol sillver square reflector umbrella style, propped on the floor. One Lastolite ( great products they make, worth the cost, try one of their reflectors, love it silver/gold and silver reverse) 36" silver round reflector on a light stand. Held on a home made half jury rig stand on caster wheels, with a Bogen mini clamp grip to hold the sliding shaft aluminum holder of the reflector. Latter made under Norman brand, likely Manfrotto actually, but beats hell out of the junk one I got years ago sold then by Photoflex, that which is el cheapo quality eg. brass painted tips, but not much less in price, fyi go for Manfrotto and get stuff that lasts.<br /> Camera was Olympus E-3 with 50-200mm SWD. Light balance was auto WB for this shot, I had forgot to do a WB at first but I did for later shots using plain white fomecore panel and stored same as Custom 1...<br /> Distance to model was about 10 feet. Background was another 15 feet and could be mushier but not bad IMO. Photoshopped bground a little to even out the grass features. Overhead patio shelter has cream colored paint, which needed to be moderately post adjusted in PS CS 3. For first use of this backyard location I am reasonably pleased, especially as the harsh sun was softened by the roof and allowed some backlight on the model's hair. Model said she worked on the file and gave it a more antique look which I am anxious to see....she does shooting also....<br /> gs</p><div>00YaJr-349281584.jpg.347664c3e49b61355fcc4d74edf3faff.jpg</div>

<p>Nice robin shot, Yury. I see this was captured with the micro 75-300 at 300mm. Looks like an excellent quality image wide open at 300mm. I figured the exotic glass and moderate maximum aperture would mean excellent wide open performance as long as the outfit can be steadied well enough!</p>

<p>Another image from photo session last week. I spent only about ten minutes with PS CS 3, novice at PPing. Not totally satisfied with color correction I made with too much fussing for my impatience. <br /> Need to also learn how to treat the eye whites with more precision, ok<em> some</em> precision even. <br /> Overall color is not quite right still, but each time I tried the overall balance changed, or the skin looked artificial. (She is Puerto Rican and tawny skin and black hair)<br /> No I shoot JPEG and do not, never say never, plan to shoot RAW, so shoot me now:-) and get me out of my misery:-)<br /> Bottom line. I want to get it <em>right in the camera. WB and all...exposure and all. </em>Hey that is what these automated machines are designed for, and shooting is more fun than tweaking, nay?<em><br /></em><br /> I just bought Lightroom 3 and I even ordered a book to learn it. I hate computer work, (or maybe still intimidated by all the gizmos)wish I could just farm that part out:-) Oh well. Oly E-3 on tripod. Outdoor setting like previous shot. Incidentally, the 50-200 mm will become my favorite portrait lens. My first one with a tripod foot and collar. How nice that is. Old tripod, a Gitzo aluminum 225. New head though, the RRS BH 40. That will likely become my favorite head, solid enough to handle an E-3 and a modest size lens. I plan to try the Panasonic GH2 with same lens next time. And also add the EC 14 to see how that treats background...<br /> Also will place reflectors much closer and more to front of subject.<br /> My goal is to get modest enhancements with each session,even small insights. Lifelong learning and all.. I am my own biggest critique person but always open to ideas, subjective or experienced. (Trust this commentary is in line with POW postings, but if not, no apologia herewith.). Yeah, I could and <em>may</em> put up some query like this on another forum, true enough, we will see re that. But hey we got to keep this forum sparking and hopping methinks too.<br>

aloha, gs</p><div>00YaaV-349437584.jpg.ce43df51225f6a8cc92ecabddf430ecd.jpg</div>

<p> Concerning 4/3 adapters..IMHO...I purchased 2 Fotodiox adapters for 30 bucks a pop on Amazon. One for EF and one for MC/MD mounts. I was skeptical but though it would be fun to play with my PL2 and some older leneses on my shelf. To my surprise I was delighted. I had some oldie but goodie Minolta lenses from over forty years ago. I learned my craft from them. The adapters worked perfectly. I mounted a 50mm 1.2 ans snapped away. The adapters are all metal. Smooth, no rough edges, nicely ribbed outside to grip. For 30 bucks, it is a bargain and they work nicely. I have since tried everything from a 28mm to a 400mm. The nice thing about these old lenses...they have external aperature rings making the setting of easy since you must use A priority or full M with these adapters. With a modern lens like an EF, you have to set aperature on a regular body camera, hold DOF and transfer lens..what a pain. If nothing else, I'm having lots of fun experimenting. I have a shelf of about 30 lenses that I can play with. </p>

<p>In India, Sanford, electric motors (certain kinds, anyway) are routinely rewound. The motors on the bench in the photo all come from ceiling fans. India is a country which is hot in the summer, and fans are not only essential, they need to be kept running twenty-four hours. I am sure a time will come when replace-not-repair will become the norm: but that time seems far in the future as economical repair is still available.</p>