Appreciate your critique

The juxtaposition of the often seen glory of autumn colour with the gothic menace of that remarkable tree. I am going mad, I see an eye, a hand , the head of a goose and as for the rocket launcher I won't go there. I like how the tree leans in to the photo. Great fun. An excellent spot by you, well done.
  • Like 1

The juxtaposition of the often seen glory of autumn colour with the gothic menace of that remarkable tree. I am going mad, I see an eye, a hand , the head of a goose and as for the rocket launcher I won't go there. I like how the tree leans in to the photo. Great fun. An excellent spot by you, well done.

Indeed, the tree can conjure up a variety of elements as long as the viewer is willing to make the effort. I see an eye, perhaps a mouth. Well seen and presented, Michael.

• Like 1

Thanks very much. I appreciate your responding.

I really like this composition too. As already mentioned, the leaning tree with its gothic/monster character, the contrast between the dark solid tree and the yellow lace-like texture of the tree on the right. I also like the way the forms of the two trees complement each other. Almost like a dance. that creates a flowing 'empty space' between them.

Well spotted and wonderful, deliberate composition!

Like @jochen, I did wonder about the sharpness and DoF. As you say, the image posted is relatively small (1000 px) and I'm sure the original photo is sharper.

• Like 1

I am lucky enough to live on the edge of a former Norman hunting estate, seven miles of broadleaf woodland. I have photographed sunlight through branches, secret pathways, hidden streams, early morning mist, sylvan autumn colour, although not as stupendous as New England in the fall, and ,err, trees. All very pleasant but images seen so many times before. This photograph leads me to think that less chocolate box and more edgy could be interesting. Street woodland perhaps.
  • Like 1

I really like this composition too. As already mentioned, the leaning tree with its gothic/monster character, the contrast between the dark solid tree and the yellow lace-like texture of the tree on the right. I also like the way the forms of the two trees complement each other. Almost like a dance. that creates a flowing 'empty space' between them.

Well spotted and wonderful, deliberate composition!

Like @jochen, I did wonder about the sharpness and DoF. As you say, the image posted is relatively small (1000 px) and I'm sure the original photo is sharper.

Thanks for your critique Mike. I appreciate your comments concerning depth of field and minimal versus optimal f/stop. Perhaps I need to give that a little more consideration. I pretty much blindly shoot at smallest f-stop for my landscapes. I am aware of diffraction occurring at the smallest apertures.. Maybe I don't notice it so much because the largest prints that I make are 11x17s. Thanks very much for your comments.

• Like 1