apple cinema display

I have decided on buying the 23" apple cinema display to go with my new G4

powerbook. a friend of mine recently told me he doesnt reccommend the cinema

display as it will not take up all settings from callibrators due to certain

apple factory settings etc. As i plan on buying the GretagMacbeth EyeOne

Display II. Does anyone know anything about this? Is it true that Apple may

have certain restrictions for callibrations? they may be tiny , but they still

exist? any ideas - please let me know.

I believe the calibration issues come up when using the Cinema display with a PC - I was ready to buy theh 23 inch Apple display, but then I read and heard about the issues when used with a PC and I decided that it wasn't worth it. I have never heard problems with a MAC. You should be fine.

I think what your friend is referring to is the Apple Cinema Display does not have individual

adjustments fro RGB setting, it just have a contrast adjustment. When you use the EyeOne

Display ADVANCE mode calibration, you have the option of adjusting the RGB level manually

to a specific target setting before EyeOne performs the calibration. Since the Cinema Display

does not offer manual RGB adjustment, you have to skip that step. It's not a problem.

Actually, EyeOne manual says if you don't have a manual RGB setting, you can just skip the

step. I have a similar set up and the calibrator/display works perfectly together.

Apple Cinema displays come factory set at about 6500K and they cannot be calibrated any lower than about 6000K. If you want to match your monitor's color temperature to that of your digital darkroom lighting - something that I highly recommend - you have a problem as even the best lighting (SoLux bulbs) doesn't go higher than 5000K.

Frans, stop spreading your uninformed assumptions. An LCD cannot be set to any color

temperature other than that of the backlight lamp. Any LCD though (be it Apple or another

brand) can simulate the color temp of your wish by using its pixels to generate a basic

gray color of choice. Apple LCD's can be used fine with very warm light in your workroom

by calibrating them to that color temp. (GMB's EyeOne Display II is perfectly capable of

such calibration with an Apple screen and a PC.)

Hala, read my posting in this thread:

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Gunf

thank you for all your replies. im new to the digital darkroom. so once i buy the monitor etc etc... at the moment.. i have a solux desklamp.. will this be ok.... what is the proper setting for an accurate digital darkroom... my monitor, callibration hardware.. and ofcourse... light... will my Solux do?

I use the G-M Eye One Display 2 calibration package with the ACD 23". I set mine for gamma

1.8, white point 5500K. It works flawlessly, and what comes out on the printer with a color

managed workflow is identical to what I see on the screen.

Godfrey