Apple Aperture tutorials help?

<p>I am trying to sort out how I will do the workflow for my images, when I am overseas for 8 months in Asia (2012). Unfortunately, I will be using two different sets of RAW files. If I only had the NEF files of my D700, then I would stick with NX2 - I think it is great for enhancing my NEF files.<br />However, I will also be using my X100, as my 'wide angle lens', and unfortunately NX2 will not recognise those RAF files.<br />Therefore, I have been fiddling around a bit with Aperture, which will allow me to use both sets of RAW files for my conversion.<br />However, I am finding it very confusing with the setup and layout of Aperture. I need a good set of tutorials (like there are available for L/R3 on SLR Lounge), to help me with Aperture. I am worried I am going to mess up and lose a lot of my work, doing backups and stuff on my Mac.<br />I saved and used my 'library' onto my 1 Terabyte hard drive, but when I transferred them back over to my computer, I can see the pics, abut it will not allow me to adjust them. It is not very intuitive like View NX2. In View NX2, I can see all of my folders there on my desktop or wherever, and save and transport and move them - great stuff. I cannot figure how on earth Aperture do this, it is very confusing. They seem to have a hierarchy system of library, folders, files, vaults - but they do not explain very well how to prioritise them.<br />Any thoughts on videos or clips or something out there to help understand the setup and basics of Aperture would be appreciated. There seems to be a very large community of support for L/R 3, but not for Aperture users.<br />Sutto</p>

<p>Philip,</p>

<p>In previous posts I have linked to Apple's online tutorials as well as the Aperture User's Network which has plenty of tutorials. And you could always just get yourself a book:</p>

<p>http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Aperture-3/dp/0321647440/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323749158&sr=1-2</p>

<p>But that said, if you feel more comfortable with Lightroom, or feel that there will be better support, then use Lightroom. As I mentioned before, the biggest difference when you first get started with Aperture is choosing a reference or a managed library. Lightroom only uses a referenced library. From there, the programs are somewhat similar in that either are going to take some time to learn. BTW- NX2 is NOT an image organizer, it is a Raw conversion tool. And a good one for NEF files, but still just a Raw conversion app. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Yea thanks John. I have spent an inordinate amount of time 'wrestling' over which way to go and which package to use. It has been very messy with what I did in the past. I recently came back from photographing Vietnam for 7 months, and my workflow was a mess. I was using View NX2, with a bit of photoshop and Lightroom. Then when I got back to Australia recently, I have been dabbling with Aperture. Then I tried to put stuff on Aperture and I seemed to have lost the information files attached - I can view the images but it will not allow me to do anyting to them - very frustrating. I want to iron the bugs out before I head back to Cambodia next month, and work out which programme I will be using.<br>

You can see I am from the film era - all this mucking around on computers - after the fact - drives me insane. I would rather be out taking my pic's, but unfortunately, as the price to pay for the wonders of digital photography - we have to P/P them<br>

The confusing thing is that all three or four programmes (counting Capture), have good points about them, but none are perfect for what I want. That is why I want to get one programme that will organise my files, P/P my Raw files (NEF and RAF) and not use a lot of time learnig it like Photoshop.<br>

John - do you thnk I would be better off with L/R3?</p>

<p>Sutto</p>

<p>Yea thanks John. I have spent an inordinate amount of time 'wrestling' over which way to go and which package to use. It has been very messy with what I did in the past. I recently came back from photographing Vietnam for 7 months, and my workflow was a mess. I was using View NX2, with a bit of photoshop and Lightroom. Then when I got back to Australia recently, I have been dabbling with Aperture. Then I tried to put stuff on Aperture and I seemed to have lost the information files attached - I can view the images but it will not allow me to do anyting to them - very frustrating. I want to iron the bugs out before I head back to Cambodia next month, and work out which programme I will be using.<br>

You can see I am from the film era - all this mucking around on computers - after the fact - drives me insane. I would rather be out taking my pic's, but unfortunately, as the price to pay for the wonders of digital photography - we have to P/P them<br>

The confusing thing is that all three or four programmes (counting Capture), have good points about them, but none are perfect for what I want. That is why I want to get one programme that will organise my files, P/P my Raw files (NEF and RAF) and not use a lot of time learnig it like Photoshop.<br>

John - do you thnk I would be better off with L/R3?</p>

<p>Sutto</p>

<blockquote>

<p>John - do you think I would be better off with L/R3?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Only you can answer that. Either program is going to take some time to learn, there aren't any shortcuts. And neither program is a <em>replacement</em> for Photoshop. NX2 and Capture are simply Raw converters, so with the paradigm of making things simpler, they can go. Photoshop is a raster based pixel level editor, so it is unique. And then comes Aperture and Lightroom. These programs import, rate, tag, and perform Raw conversions... as well as several editing functions and more. They allow you to have <em>versions </em>of an image in several folders or albums within the program, yet the image only exists <em>once</em> on your hard drive. One master image. Either way, I think you need to buckle down and take a couple of days to really try to <em>learn</em> either program. It will be time well spent as it will actually save you more time in the long run.</p>

<p>That said, I personally prefer Aperture. I have never grown accustomed to Lightrooms different "modes": Library, Develop, Slideshow, Print, Web. I also prefer Aperture's viewing functions over Lightroom's when I am showing the client images. IMHO, Aperture is more seamless. But that's me, other prefer Lightroom. Again, either way, you need to sit down and take the time to <em>learn</em> at least one of them!</p>

<p> </p>