Apple Aperture 3.5 adds SmugMug integration:

studio460

<p>Along with Apple's release of its new, completely free-of-charge Mavericks OS X upgrade, current Aperture license-holders (if purchased via the AppStore) were also treated to a free upgrade to Aperture v3.5. One of the upgrade's most significant new features is SmugMug integration. For this reason alone, I finally decided on a website solution for my fledgling photography business, and I can now call SmugMug "home." I also registered a new domain with their registrar partner, GoDaddy, for $9.99/year. Incredibly, the domain propagated to the SmugMug-hosted site in under a minute. Very impressive!</p>

<p>I just tried the Aperture/SmugMug syncing feature for the first time, and it's really great! Aperture allows direct uploads to either new or existing folders in your SmugMug account. Clicking "share-->SmugMug" in Aperture shows you a drop-down box listing all of your existing SmugMug folders, right from within Aperture. This makes using SmugMug about a thousand times more pleasant to use, plus it's way faster than dragging-and-dropping into SmugMug's upload applet.</p>

<p>This is my first time using SmugMug, and I'm still stumbling over the most basic tasks. None of the pictures are organized coherently yet (some aren't even the right pictures), but here's my new, Aperture-driven, totally work-in-progress, SmugMug site:</p>

<p>http://ralphoshiro.com/</p>

<p>By the way, I also chose SmugMug over other providers because a couple of reports claiming SmugMug's SEO-friendliness factor is superior to some of its competitors (e.g., Zenfolio, Photoshelter, etc.). I have no way of verifying these reports, but both this, and the Aperture integration was enough to swing my vote for SmugMug.</p>

<p>As for the type of account, I chose the $150/year ($12.50/month) <em>Portfolio</em> plan, which saves you 38% over the month-to-month plan by paying in advance. Also, just prior to purchase, I Googled "SmugMug coupon," and easily found a still-valid, 20%-off coupon code at retailmenot.com, making my first year of hosting only $10/month. Pretty good, I think, for the feature set SmugMug's Portfolio plan offers.</p>

<p>Well, for whatever reason, SmugMug isn't ordering the images the way I'm manually sequencing them in "organize, " even though the order option is set to "position" (the sequence appears correctly in <em>organize gallery view</em>, but not in the published home page). Plus, the sequence appears differently on different computers/devices. Also, some images are missing on various devices, even though they're visible in the gallery folder (everything is in one gallery for the moment). I know SmugMug recently rolled out a revamped version of the site, but could it still be this buggy, or am I missing something?</p>