Aperture problem.....

marc_ross

This is probably something really simple, but..I'm not a professional

photographer or anything, or really into it too heavily, but I do

often need to take good photographs for my work/studies etc.

I'm using a Dynax 4 and the Aperture just doesn't seem to alter no

matter what I set it to, the photo never seems to gain/lose any

depth, anybody know what the problem could be?

im guessing it's something to do with the lens.

thanks a lot.

"im guessing it's something to do with the lens. "

Then it might be helpfull to mention what lens it is!

Here's a list of a few points though:

1. If the lens is wide-angle (<50mm), DOF (depth of field) changes wont be as noticable (its always huge with wideangle), especially in small prints.

2. If the lens is 'slow' (5.6 or higher), and focus is on something relatively distant (compared to lens focal length), DOF is just simply bigger then you need. If this (1 or 2) is the problem, try a lens with longer focal length, and place subject closer (not focussing on infinity or near to infinity) to decrease DOF. Or get a wider-aperture lens (faster lens).

3. If you are already REALLY focussing close (macro range) and/or use extention tubes, consider DOF is reduced as you focus closer, and you'll need to stop down way more then usual.

4. If the lens is broken (better said: the diaphragm is broken), use manual mode (if your body has it), select something like F22 and 2 second shutter, then look in the lens (from the front) and press the shutter. You should see the lens stop down (diaphragm creating a very much smaller 'hole'). If it doesnt, the lens is broken.

hope this helps

This may seem like a dumb question, but I don't know what's your level of experience: do you judge DOF by looking through the viewfinder or by looking at the pictures? Remember that the Dynax 4 stops down the lens only when taking the picture. The aperture is fully open at all other times.