Anyone using the Pentax Viewfinder Loupe 0-ME53?

jimp

I like manual focusing, and I'm slowly fulfilling my longstanding desire to have

a full collection of Pentax-made prime lenses (at least from 28mm to 200mm) to

use with my P30T and new K100D Super digital SLR. Most of these will end up

being MF lenses, I'm sure, because I need working aperture rings for the P30T.

However, I find that sometimes I have trouble manual focusing the K100D. I find

that the screen is "snappy" enough, but the lack of any MF focusing aid like a

split image viewfinder or a microprism makes it hard for me sometimes. I

remember using my old Praktica MTL camera with its plain ground glass

successfully, but either that was more "ground" than the K100D or my eyes are

older. Though I wish I could change out the screen for one that is more

MF-friendly, I know I can't. (Another argument in favor of the K10D?)

This leads me to consider the Pentax Viewfinder Loupe. It's pretty cheap and

claims to make focusing easier. But does it? Can you see the edges of the

focus screen with it on? Does it distort the image in the viewfinder? Or is it

exactly what I'm looking for?

Also, does anyone have any other tips/tricks for manually focusing the K100D?

Thanks for any input and for all of the other useful info on this forum.

I can't help you out, James. But I can hijack your thread a little bit. Is there any way to increase the diopter adjustment range in the digital Pentax viewfinders? They currently go from -2.5 to +1.5, but I would like something up to +2.5 or +3. Does the Loupe allow this? I'm starting to accumulate some manual focus lenses I like, but I find that when the image is focused, it doesn't look focused to me because I need a higher diopter adjustment!

See James, the question *was* relevant to this thread :-) I hope you didn't mind my intrusion.

There are several operations and individuals now offering split image focussing screens for k100D,...here is one of them, about which I know very little, but just for your info.....

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/screen_expert/

Making focussing easier, or giving 'tips' largely depends on how you are using the camera and for what kinds of subjects so it's difficult to help,..however, when using prime/manual lenses it helps to use hyperfocal distance/focus. I use this a lot with k100D/50mm & 28mm. I have also carefully calibrated/qualified the focus scales on all of my lenses so can actually use a tape measure to get accurate lens to subject distance and focus accordingly!....don't laugh!, for critical work this is a good method especially with close-ups etc.

Although I'm a self confessed auto-focus 'refusnik', I am using the v/f focus symbol (the little green hexagon) more and more with my manual lenses, as a double check for my visual focussing,..I just note the hex when it comes to life out of the corner of my eye.

I believe the Pentax viewfinder accessories (except for M-series accessories) will fit the DLSRs. I have used a Refconverter that magnifies to 2X and it is definitely helpful in focusing in macro work. It also has a diopter adjustment built in. I also have the flip up magnifier, but have not used it much.

There are third party right angle viewfinders on eBay that may provide magnification and diopter adjustments. They claim to be compatible with Pentax DSLRs.

I sometimes use the O-ME53 on DS2 & K10D. There is no additional diopter adjustment. I have always thought that it might work even better on a pentamirror body like the K100D as it has a slightly smaller viewfinder that I imagine would more fully remain in view. The O-ME53 can require you to move your eye around to see the whole viewfinder, including the shooting info at the bottom, but I suspect this is worse if you wear eyeglasses and are using a pentaprism-equipped viewfinder. It does provide a bright, larger, seemingly crisper view which may help with focusing.

To the original poster: Bear in mind that nearly all the 35mm film-compatible glass had aperture rings including the F, FA, and D-FA autofocus lenses. If you're serious about manual focus, a replacement focusing screen might be worthwhile but remember that you still have the electronic focusing aid (and confirmation beep) as well (including trap focus) even with manual focus lenses.

I'm wondering how it works myself. I'm tempted to order one, but I'm waiting for a split image screen I ordered a few days ago, before I make the move and buy one. I use only MF K mount lenses on the K10D and the results are great, but I need to put a diopter on the camera as the adjustments on the camera are not enough.

A friend of mine has a magnifier for the Nikon D200 and if the Pentax one is anything like it, it does work well. It still gives you a full screen view with glasses on, so no diopter would be needed.

The diopter I use is actually an Olympus one, from the OM 1,2 4 series of cameras. It is used with the Olympus Eyecup 1 (Eyecup 2 works as well). It fits on the Pentax and has the ability to take Olympus round diopters. They are a little hard to find anymore (the diopters)but you stumble on to them from time to time. I think any of the older ones that have a rectangular eyepiece will work. I just tried an old Nikon one on the camera and it fits as well.

Pacific Rim Camera had a +2 Olympus diopter the last time I looked at there web site, so you may want to take a look.

You would need to get both the eyecup and diopter, but if the Nikon rectangular diopters fit, they are real cheap. I think B&H still carries them for about $10.

Link to B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/37373-REG/Nikon_2943__2_Diopter_for_Rectangular_Style.html

You can also get a DK-22 Nikon Eyepiece adapter and yo will be able to use Nikon's round diopters on the camera. It converts round to rectangular.

Using the DK-22 you can also use a Nikon eyecup with the round diopter. Makes a pretty cool setup for a lot less then the Olympus.

As I have been writing this, I just went through my box of old stuff and found a DK-22 adapter and +2 Diopter

Fits and works great. I'm going to look for an eyecup next (I'm an old Nikon guy and have a lot of stuff laying around)

I think I like the Nikon set-up better.

Anyway, now that you know, it should be simple to set yourself up.

Thanks for all the info. I knew I'd get good answers here. I was surprised to find out that there is a thriving cottage industry providing focusing screens for DLSR cameras. I'll have to research that more. I was also surprised to find out that Nikon eyepieces will fit the Pentax viwefinder. And coming directly from a manual focus SLR, I wasn't aware of the trap focus feature. Thanks, all.