Anyone using the iPad yet (for weddings)

dmcgphoto

<p>Just curious about anyone's experience with the iPad for their business.<br>

I have one, love it bunches, though I'm a PC person not an apple evangelist. But for what we do<br>

WOW, I can show as many different images as I like in their hands, album spreads, the whole gamut of products and bring a few products to hold in their hands. It has been amazing at how useful this is for that type of use.</p>

<p>As a laptop replacement or photo editing tool...really are you serious? not a chance I would ever, but I hear there is some nifty things to connect to get some images in of a wedding in process and show the work in a slideshow during reception.</p>

<p>Has anyone here any new ideas or concepts for it?<br>

Best,<br>

D</p>

<p>Hey Scott you upload the pics on iTunes when at the office.<br>

From apple they have a camera connector, but I've been listening to the USA today tech guy who has said there is an attachment to the docking unit that you can attach (daisy chain) a card reader because the native card it will read is the SD not CF.</p>

<p>D</p>

<p>As of this minute, the iPad would have some "wow" factor if you used it to demo your portfolio. But when this wears off, all you have is an undersized display. My macbook works just fine for this.</p>

<p>Personally, I'd rather let them thumb through a real album sitting on their lap. It doesn't get any more real than this.</p>

<p>First of all, of course you can upload your images onto your iPad - you only need the Camera Connection Kit, available for around 20 bucks I think, directly from Apple. This is designed to help you connect your camera directly (through USB) to the iPad and then the iPad, with the built-in application, will automatically show you (preview) your images and allow you to select which ones to import and which not. Once the import is completed, you can perform VERY BASIC adjustments to them (think iPhoto or less), nothing more. There have been numerous reports from photographers connecting their card reader to the adapter (essentially, what the adapter does is provide you with a USB slot in which Apple says you should connect your camera to) and loading their images that way, but apparently this depends on the reader. There are readers which draw more power than others and the iPad does not like power hungry readers. So, your success in that might be dependent on your card reader.</p>

<p>Second, you can easily connect your iPad with ANY projector via the VGA adapter (another extra, again around 20 bucks) which will output perfect slideshows (albeit without many of the fancy transitions etc UNLESS you've already bought the iPad version of iWork, which includes Keynote, and allows you to create pretty cool slideshows).</p>

<p>So, of course it's not a laptop replacement, but for me at least, it's damn close...;-)))))</p>

I don't use it for weddings, but rather for impromptu street portraits of strangers I engage on the street.

It's a great ice-breaker and lets people see what I do. A great tool. Will also be using it for an upcoming long-term field

project. 10 hour battery life, 1 1/2 pounds, slim so that it fits in my not so big camera bag means it's an easy carry and

easy to use, much better than any laptop/netbook. The LCD display being an S-IPS panel and color-managed yields

stunning results, much better than any laptop.

Also, the non-contract data plans mean I can stay connected cheaply to manage my urban photoblog, do research, etc anywhere.

There are a couple of photo apps that'll I'll be using in the field for editing as soon as I get the camera connector kit, which

is currently backordered.

www.citysnaps.net

• 5 months later...

<p>Anyone use it for photo storage (ie: backing up) while on the job? Aside from more screen real-estate, applications and some other uses, it's my main motivation to buy one. I can't justify the nearly identical price of the Epson P-7000 and alike.</p>

<p>I shoot raw and with CF cards, so hopefully the USB camera attachment will allow me to use my CF card reader (hoodman CF reader). Anyone know if this is painfully slow?</p>

<p>Any pros/cons? Your experiences using it for backup?</p>