anyone used this type of umbrella softbox?

movingex

Has anyone used this type of softbox umbrella before. I'm just starting to experiment with

studio lights. Is it worth looking at? I will be purchasing an Alien Bee B800 to start off with.

I'm looking for

suggestions on umbrella or small light box to start with? Will be using in home studio for

portraits.

Canon 20D, 85 1.8, 50 1.8 Sigma 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, EF 500 DG Super, Vivitar 283

Fotodiox 36" Shoot Through/Reflective Umbrella Softbox $40.00

fotodiox.com

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have the very unit to which you refer. Construction quality seems fairly good. The upside is that the unit is built on an umbrella frame, and sets up just by opening the umbrella. It stores in a nylon sleeve that's not much bigger than the regular umbrellas in my kit. The diffuser has both a zipper and a drawstring that fits well around the flash head.

The downside -- The reflectorized interior (black on the outside) has a more open weave than expected, so a lot of light goes through it and doesn't get reflected back through the diffuser. Testing with an AB1600 at full power, and the meter set ten feet away at 100ISO, the best it can muster is not quite f/8.