Anyone used one of the COB LED strobe-like lights?

rodeo_joe1

This is the type of thing I'm talking about.

While I applaud the design break from inflexible little video panels, I'm not sure these things actually put out enough light to be useful for still photography.

What prompts this is that I'm currently trying to convert a Durst L1000 enlarger from its ridiculously heat-producing and expensive 250 watt (!) dichroic T-H bulb to LED.

I've got this far:

IMG_20220423_105627-1000X908.thumb.jpg.dfc38256986c923b910d9632c5756644.jpg

A 50 watt COB LED screwed to an old computer CPU cooler - there's a small fan hidden underneath BTW.

This is very similar to the arrangement used in those COB LED photo lights.

The LED surface is extremely bright, but it radiates into a 180 degree solid angle. So at 1 metre I only get an illuminance reading of around 1000 lx roughly = 1/60th second @ f/2.8 for 100 ISO; i.e. not terribly useful as a photo lamp.

OK, so those commercial strobe-like COB lights use a 100 watt LED (=1/60th @ f/4 @ 100 ISO @ 1m) and have the facility to take a reflector, which maybe doubles the efficiency. But it still ain't very bright.

Could anyone that's bought or used one confirm or deny how dim these lights are? Because based on my 50 watt version they wouldn't appear to be very useful for stills work.