Anyone use a 1D for weddings?

david_boily

Hi,

I've been shooting my weddings with a 10D. I like the results very

much, but I recently bought a used 1D for press work. I was wondering

if this would not be a better camera for weddings? I know the

resolution is lower, but I've heard that the enlargements are nicer.

I've obviously made some prints with both and even runa a side-by-

side, but I'm still unsure. Real world experience would be

appreciated.

Other factors are the serious weith of the thing, the better crop

factor, the smaller file size, the speed ...

Any comments? (From those who actually use a 1D please).

Hello David,

I use the 10D for weddings also. I have a good frind that recently made the switch to Digital from film after using his 1D partally for his wedding work. However, his style is mostly PJ and he realized that, for the formals, he needed something more capable of enlargments. He went back & forth between the 10D & 1Ds and choose the 1Ds. I think what you have would be a great combination for weddings; i'd shoot the 1D for the PJ stuff and the 10D for the "High Potential" formals. With the proper technique, i can enlarge up to 16 X 20 with almost no distortion - but this is about as far as, i've found, one can go. Not all shots can be enlarged to that extent either; they have to have minimal croping and clarity. So that's why i wouldn't take the chance with the 1D. Kindest Regards, Jammey Church

"<I>I know the resolution is lower, but I've heard that the enlargements are nicer.</I>"<P>

That could very well be. I have neither but the 1D has a 28.7 x 19.1 photo sensor compared to the 10D 22.7 x 15.1 photo sensor. That is 60% larger in area. Resolution, file size, is nice but is not the whole story. You could get a 6.1 Meg Kodak DX7630 but its sensor size of 7.18 x 5.32 mm would precluded getting very good prints larger than 8 x 10. <BR>And I do know one wedding photographer who uses a 1D for his wedding shoots after switching from MF.

James G. Dainis

The 10D is actually a better camera for wedding IMO. While the sensor in the 1D is larger,

the internal processing or something in the 10D results in less noise than the 1D. Even

less than the mighty 1Ds ( I know, I've used all three cameras).

As far as enlarging 10D shots, I routinely did 13X19 prints even from cropped files. Just

get a good interpolation program. For normal sized images up to 12X17 image area, Fred

Miranda's SI (step Interpolation) PhotoShop plug in specifically designed for the 10D is

quite amazing, and very easy to install and use. I think it's about $12, or $15. and he e-

mails it to you along with no-brainer instructions. www.fredmiranda.com

BTW, there are some nice plug-ins for the 1D also.

I recently sold my 10D, but only because I ordered a 1DMKII which I hope to high heaven

has some of the technology of the 10D in it.