Anyone try a M 4/3 format body on a telescope?

awahlster

<p>I have a Meade ETX-90 UHTC telescope nothing big nothing to fancy but I can easily see deep space objects and the computer tracking works real nice for basic astrophotography. I got some really nice shots of 5 of Saturns Moons and Mars a while back.<br>

I been using a Canon G3 4Mp camera on it. But it's a PITA to focus and I'm dealing with the cameras lens as well. I also have adapters to mount a SLR body direct to the eye piece in the telescope which would be a better option.<br>

Since I am considering a M4/3 body to use with my Canon FD lenses I was wondering if anyone has also made use of one with a telescope for some Astrophotography???<br>

Do any of them have the ability to be controled via a laptop?</p>

<p>Haven't tried it because I don't own a M4/3 camera, but I have used the direct adapters (called prime focus adapters) with both film and 1.5X crop digital. By using such an adapter you bypass the eyepiece so magnifcation is less, but you have more light. The Meade telescope that you describe is probably about f12 or f13, a far cry faster than the effective f-stop you would get through the eyepiece. If the focal length happens to be 1250 mm, then a film SLR (like Canon FD mount) would give a magnification of 25. Double that for the 4/3 format so a telescope with that focal length would magnify 50 times through the camera or act as a 2500 mm telephoto. This may not be enough for planetary detail, but may be too much to get a wide field for deep sky objects.</p>