Anyone tried the 80-200mm F/2.8 with TC-201?

nick_davis

<p>Hi everyone. I have been trying to find ways to lighten my load recently and had this idea: on days when I don't anticipate doing any macro work I could leave my 105mm Micro at home and, in case I happen across something interesting, possibly use teleconverters on my 80-200mm. Has anyone here tried this? I know that I cannot expect the image quality of the Macro lens and I will sacrifice some precision focusing ability, but is it acceptable? I have a TC-201 and also a TC-17EII and TC-20EII (with the tabs filed off so that they can be stacked for storage). I know that the TC-201 is compatible, how about the other two? Let me know what you think or I will just have to continue carrying my 105mm at all times.</p>

<p>--P.S. I shoot film so it is not really economical for me to test this myself when I am almost certain that someone on here will have some experience with this.</p>

<p>Thank You</p>

<p>The modified TC-17E and TC-20E will both fit the 80~200/2.8, but manual focus only. I don't own the TC-17E, and have never bothered to try my modified TC-20E on the 80~200/2.8. I wouldn't expect stellar results with either the TC-201 or TC-20E.</p>

<p>Even the 2X converter will only give you a maximum of 1:3 at 200mm, so although better than nothing, it's no substitute in close focusing capability for the 105mm Micro.</p>