Anyone still using their Rokkors with film?

Discussion in 'Sony/Minolta' started by rick_jack|1, Jun 20, 2017.

1. I have an XD-11 that sees lots of use. My best lenses are the 135mm f3.5 MD and especially the 85mm f2.0 MD. I get great color with this rig and a certain soft/sharp quality I find only in certain Rokkors.

2. Today I was gifted an EX+ condition SR-1 set with 35, 50 and 135 Rokkor lenses, plus extension tubes #1-#5. Also have an XG-M and 7000.

The SR-1 will see some use when I am done with the roll in my Canon FX, also a 1960s era camera.

The 7000 I put alot of film through in the 1990s. It is badly disintegrating, and I want a new Maxxum body to use my awesome 28-70/2.8 G lens.

The XG-M has not seen much use, and probably will not. It just doesn't speak to me at the moment.

3. @Wilmarco- To replace the 7000 you might look at the 8000i. You gain spot metering, three AF sensors, brighter VF, top shutter speed of 1/8000 (with X-sync 1/200), PC socket for flash, and creative expansion card slots. The outer covering of the 5000/7000/9000 as well as the "i" series (like 5000i, 7000i, and 8000') do tend to deteriorate over time (turn sticky). I believe the xi series is also that way. The later XTSI and HTSI, Maxum (4 and 5) have a different covering, but appear less rugged than earlier models.
    Congrats on the SR-1. It is a solid beast that will serve you well. I have a later SR-3 with the 50mm f1.8 Auto Rokkor and 100mm f3.5 Auto Rokkor which works perfectly.

4. Thanks Mike. I’m thinking of a 9 to replace the 7000. What’s your opinion on that?

BJ

5. I have the 9xi and 800si. I hate those 2. I do like the 9 but I don't have one and the 7 which I have is quite nice.

Wilmarco Imaging likes this.
  6. I've never owned the 9, but from what I've read it was the top of the line Maxxum. It shares the same 1/12,000 top shutter speed of the 9xi but is IMHO, a much more desirable camera. The 9xi, although top of its range, continued with some of the somewhat aggravating features of the lesser xi series. The main reason I picked up a 9xi was it was cheap, yet fully functional. I believe the top 9 had a titanium body (or at least partially titanium).

7. Loaded a roll of TX into the SR-1 last night and made a few portraits with studio light. Surprised to find no accessory shoe! I used a PocketWIzard with the transmitter hanging from my wrist with the lanyard, kind of funny. Looking forward to seeing the Rokkor lens performance.

I did find the accessory shoe clip on device for this camera, online.

8. Very nice image. I'm glad to see someone still using that lens. I wish I used mine more before I sold it. I found the 16mm to be more useful for my style.

9. A test roll through the recently gifted camera. Fresh film with a more careful technique will be interesting. Fun camera.

Minolta SR-1
    Minolta Auto W.Rokkor-HG 35/2.8
    Kodak Tri-X long expired mom_daughter.jpg

10. Minolta SR-1
    Minolta Auto Tele Rokkor-PG 135/2.8
    Kodak Tri-X long expired
    Studio strobe around f/8 or f/11 to camera left, triggered with a PC cord and PocketWizard with bounce fill to camera right.

couple.jpg

11. The test roll has shown me that the SR-1 with the Rokkor lenses is capable of making nice images. Need to be careful about strong light sources and flare. I guess that is consistent with the coating technology these lenses received.

12. Another one here, with an X500 (570 for you in America), a,bright short zoom and FP4+. I started with an SRT101.

13. I was shooting film with a pair of XD11’s and Rokkor glass until a few years ago when the good film shop near me shut down. I don’t have enough time to soup my own BW film anymore. So now I have an A7 and adapters.

Maybe some day I’ll be retired and will set up a darkroom. As good as digital gets, for me there’s something about the physical objects of negs and optical prints that it can’t replace.