anyone shot a 65mm schneider , or 72xl on a crown graphic?

dave schlick

I use a 65/8 SA on a Speed Graphic and the 65/5.6 on the Crown would be similar. The lens remains on the body rails for infinity focus and the bed must be dropped so it does not appear in the image.

Not sure about the 72 since it will be on the bed rails for infinity and the bed itself may be in the image. Some Crown versions will allow you to adjust the front standard while the bed is dropped, which may work for this lens.

im comming up with the bed down i can set the 65mm on the rear rails, and slide the lens mounting board back and fourth to give me a total of about 1 1/4 inch of adjustment...it will take some trial and errer., but now i see also that there is very little movement to get down to 35 feet focus.. and the camera can adjust that much easily if im in a proper position on the rear rails, and the bed down.. so Mike thanks for pointing out that the movement is actually small, and John for makeing me realize that i had to put it on the rear rails, i felt this was the case but i was afraid i couldnt extend the lens enough for closer shots.. .. the biggest problem is that the rear rails are not very solid on my camera, but that can be fixed with a wedge gently put between the board and the side of the camera applying only enough pressure to hold the rails in a more solid position.. the next problem is getting the lensboard square with the fresnell, as i am used to the stops taking care of this.. the 65 appears to get more movement from infinity towards a closer focus than the 72mm xl with the bed down, as the rear bed extension is limited, and the board can only be moved so far out on it into the air.... im going to send this in triplicate to reach the different posts and emails that i have sent.. thanks to you all, and ill try a 65 and post results.. as John has said he uses a 65mm on a speed graphic, so ill bet ill be fine with it.. i just needed a little encuragement to put the 600 dollars plus out for a super wide angle lens... thanks dave...

Previous answers have explained, that both a 65 mm and a 72xl can be used on Crown Graphics, when placed on the interior rail.

I have some additional questions. When placing the lenses as described, would it be possible to use the Kalart rangefinder, that is, to adjust it to the lens in question? Is there a way to fix the lens on the inner rail so that it stays put there for infinity focusing and can also be left at that position in the camera when closed?

as to putting the lens fixed on infinity in the closed camera: i dont belive so, for the 65 to work it has to be a ways out on the inner rail, and this would have to be put all the way in to close... it also may not close if the lens is too big.. . the 72 does not look like it would work as well as the 65 as it may have to be on the outer rails for closer than infinity,im not sure tho. this may put the bed in view of the neg.. i dont think this would be the end of the world as one would have movements.. that would alow one to raise the lens some and this would help me out as i like catching tall buildings, and foreground in this is not that important.. if i want fore ground i can turn the crown on edge and center the lens to the part of the neg that would be out of the beds view.. kind of a 3x5 i guess.. i personally dont see a problem with this, but some may not care for it.. dave.

I don't recall the situation in detail, but I once had a Century with 47Angulon (not SA). Great little lens, I wish I could find one, though I'd need another Century to go with it.

Rather than dropping the bed I sawed the rails short...the rails intruded in the image, not the bed. Worth investigating if you see rails, not bed, when extended and and want the bed to stay square for focusing purposes.

Wouldn't saw the rails short on my current Century...I use it with a 250 Tele Optar and need every inch I can get :-)

John, are you sure about that "47Angulon (not SA)"? I ask because the shortest Angulon mentioned on Schneider's site http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/archiv.htm is the 65/6.8.

Also, your story about cutting the rails short is passing strange. Barbarous thing to do, if the rails are in the shot, the bed should be too. The 47 SA should make infinity "inside the box." At any rate, my 47/5.6 does.

Dan...it was a thousand year ago...must have been a humble 65 Angulon, not 47...nice lens, I've recently scanned one of its E4 chromes from 1970 or so...

The chopped rails did serve their purpose...I was careful about that.

Wish I still had my 58 Grandagon...though I gather their elements are starting to separate.

But this doesn't help Dave with his problem :-)

Um, Dave, I noticed that you said you're having a problem squaring up the front standard on the inner bed rails. I shoot a number of lenses on my little Graphics that make infinity with the front standard on the inner bed rails, so I'm acquainted with that very difficulty.

Here's a solution: make, or have a machinist make for you, a device that looks sort of like an upside down top hat. The center section should fit snugly between the bed rails, the upper section should rest on the rails. I have one for my 2x3 Pacemaker Speed, another for my Century. It turns out that the Speed's rails are a little farther apart than the Century's. Both are ~ 1" long.

I also use them to square up the front standard on the outer rails when setting up to shoot with a lens for which the camera has no infinity stops already set up.

I position the "device" -- Fred Lustig calls it a chinaman -- where the front standard is to go. Then, depending on where that is, pull the front standard forwards or push it backwards to make good contact with the device. And then I'm set. Finding the right position for a lens may take a little tinkering.