Anyone Shooting with Panasonic?

Have not seen a category for Panasonic cameras and lens; but did notice one for Olympus.

Anyway, just curious who else on this forum uses Panasonic equipment.

My first venture into m4/3rds was with a Panasonic G6 which I still own and shoot. Love the colors I get from it.

GR

This forum is good for Panasonic M4/3 cameras and the smaller format models. Topics centered on the M4/3 lens mount could well go in the Olympus forum.

I use a Panasonic G5 and a GX7. No complaints or questions about them really. They are both fine cameras.

I use both Olympus and Panasonic micro four thirds equipment. If you have specific questions on Panasonic, I think this is as good a place to raise them as any. If you are thinking of hanging out with Panasonic users, you will find camera specific groups on Facebook. As to DPR, yes, the Micro Four Thirds Forum there has many questions on both Panasonic and Olympus. The questions get specific and are usually like " How do I set this menu for this function?" Since menu systems are different on Pan vs Oly and neither are simple to use. I use the GX 7 Panasonic and the GX 8 Panasonic and several of their X series lenses. I you have a question, go for it. I know almost as little as everyone else here, but have strong opinions :) Right now I fancy Panasonic. Last year I fancied Olympus. If I had to give up one, it would be a tough choice for brand. We are lucky to have two giant outfits on the same spread sheet. So ask away....Fuji mirrorless fans are most tolerant, and can watch TV while you post... aloha, gs...I enjoy David Thorpe who uses both brands and has some good online videos and even a couple books...Robin Wong of Malaysia sometimes covers Panasonic gear, though he leans to Olympus. So yes, Olympus was first out of the gate with 4/3 and Panasonic came later. But Panasonic is likely to have more models out and I would guess there are more and more folks using Panasonic . There seems to be a tilt in video users to Pan but that is less and less significant. I would like to see more attention to Panasonic in the forum. Why, because they are an important player and have so many offerings. ( Some might say too many). Edited by GerrySiegel

I might add that the separate forums for Olympus and all Mirrorless including Micro Four Thirds still makes no great sense, but gets into the history of four thirds and micro four thirds and thus boring to recall.... It has been suggested that some combination be achieved but it gets to be a question of how and why and Photo Net seems to have other things on the burner rather than rationalizing this segment. I vote for micro four thirds and mirrorless in a lump place and this is good as any for all brands with no mirrors. Seems a recognizable marketing category on line lately too.

This forum is good for Panasonic M4/3 cameras and the smaller format models. Topics centered on the M4/3 lens mount could well go in the Olympus forum.

I use a Panasonic G5 and a GX7. No complaints or questions about them really. They are both fine cameras.

Thanks. I have been considering getting the G7 or GX7 as the prices are quite right.

The newer G85 seems to be a good weather resistant camera as well. I believe all three take the same battery as my G6 which is a big plus.

How do you like your GX7?

GR

I use both Olympus and Panasonic micro four thirds equipment. If you have specific questions on Panasonic, I think this is as good a place to raise them as any. If you are thinking of hanging out with Panasonic users, you will find camera specific groups on Facebook. As to DPR, yes, the Micro Four Thirds Forum there has many questions on both Panasonic and Olympus. The questions get specific and are usually like " How do I set this menu for this function?" Since menu systems are different on Pan vs Oly and neither are simple to use. I use the GX 7 Panasonic and the GX 8 Panasonic and several of their X series lenses. I you have a question, go for it. I know almost as little as everyone else here, but have strong opinions :) Right now I fancy Panasonic. Last year I fancied Olympus. If I had to give up one, it would be a tough choice for brand. We are lucky to have two giant outfits on the same spread sheet. So ask away....Fuji mirrorless fans are most tolerant, and can watch TV while you post... aloha, gs...I enjoy David Thorpe who uses both brands and has some good online videos and even a couple books...Robin Wong of Malaysia sometimes covers Panasonic gear, though he leans to Olympus. So yes, Olympus was first out of the gate with 4/3 and Panasonic came later. But Panasonic is likely to have more models out and I would guess there are more and more folks using Panasonic . There seems to be a tilt in video users to Pan but that is less and less significant. I would like to see more attention to Panasonic in the forum. Why, because they are an important player and have so many offerings. ( Some might say too many).

Thanks for your reply. I also have both. After purchasing my G6 I got a great deal on a refurbished EPL-7 which I really like as well. I get some great colors out of it and it is small enough I can take it with me when I bicycle.

Right now I am not really into video but from what I know Panasonic seems to be the way to go for that option.

Thanks for the great information!

GR

If you do not have the GX 7 I can recommend it now as a best buy item. It has a lot to offer in a small package. And I paid 400 USD six months ago for a mint item from KEH used gear. They provide a reasonable warranty as well and are fair in their evaluation of used stuff. The GX 7 is for those who seek small. I find its button layout a bit crowded but not too much so. Photo quality is very nice indeed. Up with the best IMO.

If you do not have the GX 7 I can recommend it now as a best buy item. It has a lot to offer in a small package. And I paid 400 USD six months ago for a mint item from KEH used gear. They provide a reasonable warranty as well and are fair in their evaluation of used stuff. The GX 7 is for those who seek small. I find its button layout a bit crowded but not too much so. Photo quality is very nice indeed. Up with the best IMO.

I do some hiking and don't want to carry large gear with me. So, that is why I switched to m4/3rds in the first place. As you mentioned prices are very good right now on both the G7 and GX7 cameras and both are small and lightweight. The only thing they miss is the weather resistance. And, there is where I am stuck, do I want to spend more money on a WR body, such as the G85, etc. or go cheaper and find good ways to protect the non-WR bodies in inclement weather. Decisions. Decisions. :)

GR

• 2 weeks later...
I shot with a Panny GH3 and then a GX8, both excellent. I have moved to an Oly E-M1 II to take advantage of faster AF and a couple of features tilted towards still shooters. But Panny m4/3 cameras are top notch.

Interesting switch...what still features does the Oly EM1 II offer that Panasonic cannot do besides faster AF?

the separate forums for Olympus and all Mirrorless including Micro Four Thirds still makes no great sense,

I agree. There should be a carch-all Micro 4/3 Forum. I use Olympus M4/3 cameras but the Olympus forum is filled non-M4/3 discussions. Then I use the excellent Panasonic 100-400mm lens on my Olympus cameras.

This is getting schizophrenic. ;)