Anyone shoot with the Angenieux zoom with Canon Full Frame Digital ?

rob_h5

<p><strong>Anyone here shoot with an exotic French made Angenieux 28-70mm f2.6 AF in Canon EF mount or Angenieux 35-70mm f2.5/3.3 zoom lens on Canon full frame? </strong>Any other working professional photographers here actually ever use this zoom lens on Canon full frame digital with clients besides me? Most photographers have given praise for its IQ and performance of this rare Angenieux zoom. OTH I have ran into collectors that have this same Angenieux but were stuffy and cooky "collector types" and do not ever shoot with it... only take it out of the glass cabinet every 10 years. :/</p>

<p>Pros: For portrait or still life it has the absolute perfect color palette neither too warm or cool and perfect softness not too (clinical) sharp. Usability: Headshots, Fashion, Portrait, Macro, Still life, Landscape , Product, Commercial Characteristics: very typical of French Angenieux prime lenses and zooms both still photography and motion picture cine lenses, <strong>"classic painterly French pastel colors",</strong> medium contrast, medium to high lens flare...ect. I have seen a very similar look in French cinematography. :) <br />58mm filter <br />Lens shade that looks cool and works <br />fast f2.5 at the 35mm end <br />true parfocal zoom<br /> <br />Cons: Price, super rare zoom. A white buffalo is easier to find than this lens. Weatherproof/Durability: Horrible. Scratches and dings very very easily because of the early plastic made design barrel (1980s) , not weather proof sealed at all (like modern Canon lenses). Vulnerable to shock. Very vulnerable to dust, sand, water and humidity. Basically a "studio" lens or outdoors on a perfect day (no rain/snow/sand...) Prone to lens flare but may be OK if you like the look. Vignettes badly at 35mm. :(</p>

<p>The ONLY professionals I have found anywhere using this lens besides me and a few stills photographers were... believe it or not ....<strong>cinematographers / videographers</strong>! It happens that Angenieux (because of their motion picture design background) designed the zoom, focus, and iris that are all the correct direction for cinema so they shoot this on HD cinema including Canon HD cameras. Angenieux no longer makes zooms for 35mm SLR cameras since the mid 1990s. Today many motion picture rental houses rent this zoom lens out to digital videographers.</p>

<p>Any questions about the lens please ask! I have shot with the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 L zoom and the Angenieux zoom is about the same quality...<em>but the bokeh and colour on this French zoom is very different</em>. I actually prefer the Angenieux for its unique look. Its mint, has original lens hoods, filters, manuals...and a French hard case and pouch with gold velvet! I included photos shot with the Angenieux zoom with Canon full frame digital.</p>

<p>The Tokina was the 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 ATX Pro, easily the best third party standard zoom of its era. I had one in the last years of film-early digital transition times. It was outstanding on film, and the IQ was also very fine on my D60, but the focal range was a bit awkward for APS-C. It was a bulky, heavy lens, typical of Tokina's best. I traded it long ago - and now, seeing the above images, I wish I still had it to to use on my 5D. </p>

<p>Great responses guys! Keep the questions coming, its a rare zoom so I am here to answer any questions. :)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>It was a Tokina. See Robert Monaghan's <em>Cult Classic Third Party Lenses</em>,</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Dr. Path and Mark are correct, the Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 ATX Pro was based on the Angenieux 28-70mm f2.6 zoom lens. Here is a photo of the rare Angenieux 35-70mm f2.5 for those not familiar with the lens and the Angenieux retrofocus lens design diagram straight from my Angenieux manual.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Sounds fascinating, I'd like one, and the prices are only as frightening as other good lenses, but it sounds as though they are fragile and irrepairable, so probably best to leave them alone.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Keith these Angenieux zooms are well made and designed to <em>last a lifetime with normal use.</em> The problem is these Angenieux zooms are NOT <strong>weatherproof</strong> or <strong>repairable</strong> if damaged. I contacted Angenieux in France in 2012 and they only service motion picture cine lenses now, they stop servicing these lenses in the mid-1990's. Unfortunately theses Angenieux zooms lack<strong> Canon's L lens excellent weatherproof design</strong> that are both wet weather and dust resistant. So basically these lenses are <strong>studio</strong> lenses or for "<strong>perfect outdoor day</strong>" use. Harsh or tropical weather, sea-spray at the beach, snow, hot sun, shock, sand..ect those outdoor conditions are out for this lens.</p><div>00bXpO-531353584.thumb.jpg.039adea63e3ca8cdd94096ad5e901685.jpg</div>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>I had that lens briefly in Leica R-mount but it was a defective unit, it would not focus on infinity. I returned it and there was no other one to buy.</p>

<p>I still have--though I use infrequently--the Angénieux 45-90mm f/2.8 and the 70-210mm f/3.5 zooms in R-mount. The 45-90 is noted for having been used by David Douglas Duncan to photograph artwork for one of his books on Pablo Picasso.</p>

<p>Both are not bad lenses at all, though the build and feel of the 70-210 is kind of flimsy, not very rugged at all, notwithstanding the elegant fitted lined case (or "casket," as Angénieux called it) with accompanying red-velvet-lined drawstring pouch, instruction booklet, warranty card, lens test card and premoistened lens wipes. (Angénieux does "presentation" very well!)</p>

<p>I did have to return the 70-210 for repairs after it got a little roughed up on a trip down the Grand Canyon that caused the focus to go out of alignment. Definitely not a lens for hiking or outdoor exploring in the national parks, as I found out. Here's a tip: buy, if you can, a spare lens shade, because you will crack or chip the flimsy plastic one supplied by Angénieux at some point.</p>

<p>+1 for the Tokina 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 ATX Pro .. i have the pro11 in which the only difference is the pro2 has a bayonet fitting hood and i believe a slightly faster AF motor<br>

This lens IS a world class optic .. according to photozone its a bit sharper than the canon 28-70 F2.8L in the center but a little behind it at the edge. so on averge the same, but remember the canon 28-70L is a little sharper than its replacement the 24-70 L<br>

The tokine was also better than the 24-105 F4L i had<br>

My copy it is very sharp from F3.5 and no complaints at F2.8 .. in fact at F5.6 its to close to call if my 50mm F1.4 USM prime also at 5.6 is any sharper.. this is on my 5Dc <br>

The build is excitant ++<br>

My only criticism is it not focus very close </p>

<p>if you are looking for this lens it has to say PRO or PRO11 on it, if it say SV ("special value" read cheap )<br>

or its a 28-80mm not 70 mm you may be disappointed<br>

Dave </p>