Anyone seen a Tokina 12-28 f/4 yet?

richard_driscoll

<p>Some time ago Tokina announced a new 12-28 mm f/4 for DX cameras. Has anyone actually seen or used one of these I wonder? It does at least now seem to be on sale in the US, at least in Nikon mount. However one supplier in the UK seemed unaware of this new lens!<br /> I'd almost settled on the Tokina 12-24 but I'd like to know if the new one has solved the CA issues which seem to be the only significant failing. It's also possible that the 12-24 may drop in price when the new one appears in significant numbers.<br /> Thanks in advance.</p>

<p>The Tokina 12-28mm lens, announced in January, were just stocked at some US suppliers (B&H, Adorama) in late June. To date, there have been no independent reviews of the lens from a reliable source outside of Japan. No reviews that I've seen, including any from Japan, have shown metrics for the lens in terms of its corrections for chromatic aberrations, a definite weakness of the previous 12-24mm Tokina lens.</p>

<p>The pricing of the Tokina 12-28mm lens, anticipated by some sources as close to the existing 12-24mm lens is, in fact, quite a bit higher ($599.00 vs $449.00). I'd definitely wish to wait for some independent testing of the lens before buying one. Perhaps, in the interim, the prices might be reduced (note that the Japanese Yen has fallen quite a bit in its exchange rate to the U.S. Dollar in recent months).</p>

<p>Jim</p>