Anyone see Apocalyse Now?

armando_roldan

I just watched Apocalyse Now for the 10th time but this is the first

time I have paid attention to the crazed photog played by Dennis

Hopper. I saw he had 4 cameras with him and one had a motordrive.

Does anyone got any idea what types of Nikons he had and what lens

appeared to be on the cameras? This movie was supposedly to happen

in 1970. I am not a expert of older Nikons but I swear one is a F2

but i'm not sure what year it was produced. Any of you got a VHS or

DVD of this movies and can fill me in?

I haven't looked recently but those are all Nikon F bodies as I recall, at least one with

the F-36 motordrive. Dennis Hopper is also a pretty fine photographer who actually

knows his equipment and as an actor has always been a real stickler about how how

he "dresses' for a role -- this was true even in that long delirium of drugs & booze he

put himself through after "Easy Rider" and before he dried out and starred in "Blue

Velvet", so I really doubt that you are seeing an F2

The photographer is based on Tim Page. Apocalypse Now, while based on Joseph Conrads 'Heart of Darkness' contains many bits that are also in 'Dispatches' by Michael Herr - a friend of Page, and someone who worked on the film. Cameras should be either Nikon F's or possibly Nikkormats.

The F2 came out in 1971. It solved the problem of NOT having to remove the back; to add a motor drive. (or removing the camera from a tripod, to change the film!) Early first motors and bodies had some problems; they were quickly solved/fixed...today the F2 is regarded as a good solid machine... The NEW "film box slot" on the F2's cameras back was totally hated by many pros; who thought it was "beginner like"...; some wanted backs without the "amateur" feature.....The mirror on the F2 is 2mm longer; this greatly reduces the "bottom blackout" with super telephotos; or when used on a telescope.....The crafty forward thinking Japanese even used the newer 1.5 Volt silver batteries; instead of the older Mercury cells......This is nice!; one can still get batteries today..