Anyone recommend a tripod for a Crown Graphic?

robie_anson

<p>The Slik Pro 700 DX leg set is decent for only $80 from bhphoto. Add a Bogen 410 geared head for $220 and you're good to go. But this won't be light, so I hope you're strong.</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/557127-REG/Slik_615_317_Pro_700_DX_Tripod.html</p>

<p>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/124665-REG/Manfrotto_by_Bogen_Imaging_410_410_Junior_Geared_Head.html</p>

<p>Shop around on wePray. I picked up an old Graflex aluminum tripod for $20 a couple years ago and use it regularly at home. Too heavy for travel unless shooting near the car, so then I take either my wood Berlebach 2042 or a a Velbon El Carmagne carbon. Any of these support a light to medium weight 4x5 nicely with the beloows extended provided the lens is not too heavy. In the field I use a 203mm EKtar which is quite light, very nice on my Crown, same weight as a 127 or 135mm 4.5 lens. Bigger faster Tele lenses like the 15" Tele Raptar require suplimental support. A 10" Tele should be OK. <br>

Anyway, it really depends on what you intend to do. </p>

<p>The Bogen 410 head is the cat's pajamas. (How long since you heard that one?) Mate it to a 3021 legset (or whatever the heck model number they have on it this week) and you're good to go.</p>

<p>A less expensive head is the 3030 pan/tilt head. Plenty of support for darn near anything 4x5; I use one with an 11 lb. monorail.</p>

<p>The Slik 700 mentioned earlier is plenty strong. I'm not sure if it has plastic in any critical spots, but it seems a good 'pod for the bux.</p>

<p>After you graduate from Manfrotto/Bogen to Gitzo, it's hard to go back. Which is why I am shocked that I am so happy with my Chinese-made Benro, which is close to a Gitzo as anything I've ever run across. A 200 series Benro will give you rock solid support at a surprisingly low price. I have a Manfrotto 410 geared head on my series 300 Benro. I think it's a 357, but you don't need such solid tripod for a Crown Graphic. </p>

<p>I am having good success with my Manfrotto 58B/3251 tripod and I use a Bogen 3047 fluid head which is very easy. I have heard that Gitzo is much better, but this manfrotto combo comes close. I was able to find an used one for $200 on ebay. It was really kind of hard to find this model for sale used, after i purchased mine I found the same combo on craigslist for about 150.00. But I know either one was a much better cost than new. I also enjoy the quick release leg release. </p>

<p>I bought a Marchioni Tiltall, which I really like, and a Bogen 3021 w/ 3025 head. The Bogen is sturdier and easier to set up. I hate the 3025 head because the little knobs that lock it are too small. I'm probably going to drill through them and slide a bolt through each one so I can have a proper handle to grasp. This head is the minimum you would want for 4x5 and a 3047 would be better, though heavier. The Tiltall ran about $90 (head's built in) and the 3021/3025 combo about $110. The Silks are also fine tripods.</p>