Anyone Here Ever Use a Nikon F3 Waist Level Finder?

Vincent Peri

Yes years ago when I got my first F3HP I subsequently got a WLF. After trying it out, I sold it, as I realized I wouldn't use it as often as I originally thought - what I really needed was the DW-4 for critical macro work. I've never found WLFs like the DW-3 particularly useful or easy to use, I've had them on a variety of cameras, from Exaktas to TLRs, and in general I find them difficult to get used to unless you're using them day in and day out..

I never had a WLF for a Nikon, but have spent many hours peering into an Hasselblad and Rolleiflex. The best use is for low level macro photography, or vertically for copying. They must be close to your eye for proper focusing, which is awkward for shooting most things and people. There must be a good magnifier in the hood. Hasselblad and Rollei do well in this respect. I'm not sure about Nikon.

An oft-cited use is for use at waist level for street photography. There are a couple of problems with this. Focusing is impossible, and composition is difficult on such a small image. On a Nikon, these problems would be even worse. The other "problem" is attempts at being furtive - peeking around corners, using a WLF - tend to attraction attention and suspicion. If you use the camera in a normal, confident manner, you tend to be invisible.

I don't know anything about the DW-3, but out of interest, do you actually need one to try it out? I thought about getting one for my F5 (they're quite expensive, last I looked) but you don't actually need a finder in place to get the effect - you can just take the prism off, since the "waist level finder" is just a shield over the fresnel. I think I gave it a go with some success, but I don't remember whether I used it in anger. You might be able to try things out with the prism simply removed before picking up an official finder.

Or I could be confused, both about the F3 and how the F5 works. :-)

The WLF on a Rolleiflex is vaguely helpful for stealth, in that you're not right in someone's eye line when you're taking the photograph. Since on a smaller camera it's more of a "chest-level finder" if you want to see anything, it's probably a bit less subtle.

No I don't have a waist level finder but I have the 6x finder which actually easier to focus than the prism. Now I did once when I was 29 year young focus on the plain type D focusing screen with the finder removed on the F3. I needed to do a night shot long exposure and didn't have tripod. I put the camera on the ground and I had to remove the finder to focus. But my eyes were better than what they called 20/20 back then.

I was just looking for a small case to hold my step rings, and what do i find.?.......a DW-3 with bottom cover.

Not sure How/Where/Why i have this...must have come in a "bundle" of stuff. I recently sold both of my F3, i prefer the F2 and just did not use the F3 very often and i Never Used the WLF.........o_O