Anyone figured out the BEST FD to Micro 4/3 adapter?

awahlster

<p>Have any of you got enough experiance with the various FD lens to Micro 4/3 body adapters to know or have an opinion which is the best. Cost not an option?<br>

Based on other products carried and his rep the ones from Cameraquest sound/look good. As does one made by Novoflex.<br>

Looking for solid construction to handle 400-500mm lenses.</p>

<p>I am sure that either will work well - I just went cheap and got the one from RJ at Jinfinance - this works well with my 300 F2.8. The adaptor really does not have to handle the lens weight with big lenses - just the camera weight. I have never tried picking up my G1 with the 300 f2.8 attached as I suspect that the weight of the lens will cause serious damage to the lens mount in the camera body. I try not to pick up the body of my New F1 with the 300 f2.8 attached as it will put stress on the lens mount. The F1 will survive thsi kind of treatment however - I suspect the G1 will not. I find that I can only use a lens like the 300 f2.8 on the tripod as focusing the G1 is quite difficult with such a long lens attached. With a 500mm lens you will be trying to focus an effective 1000mm lens which will be quite difficult without a tripod!</p>

<p>Nice tripod - my only point was that the rigidity of the adaptor is probably not that important as the camera lens mount is weaker than any of the adaptors. My G1 has some play on the cheap Jinfinance adaptor but it has no impact on IQ (even with the 85 f1.2 at f1.2 - which is difficult to focus handheld!) I find that even the Panasonic kit lens has some play when mounted.</p>

<p>The cheap Jinfinance with the 300 f2.8 (even with the 1.4x or 2x TC) focuses fine at infinity. I believe that this is because the big L series lenses are able to cope with temperature variations and thus can foucs "past infinity" so the tolerence of cheap adaptors is not an issue.</p>

<p>Mark, I don't know which is best, but have a look through the discussions on this flickr group, http://www.flickr.com/groups/1084614@N23/, where I think you will find a lot of good information. Somewhere in all that are some links to comparison reviews of different FD adapters. The only one I can find at the moment however is this one, http://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2009/06/rj-camera-fd-adaptor.html.</p>

<p>I ended up buying the Jinfinance adapter myself (this was for my G1) and have been mostly very pleased with it. Note that although someone referred to it as the "cheap" adapter, just to be fair it is not the least expensive. It is however a very good adapter, for a reasonable price. My only complaint about it (and it is admittedly rather minor, and wouldn't affect everyone) is a clocking error which I documented in this thread, http://www.flickr.com/groups/1084614@N23/discuss/72157622293025167/</p>

<p>Philip regarding the play in your adapter, do check the three screws on the lens mounting ring and tighten them up if necessary. That can make a big difference. I noticed mine was getting a little sloppy, and it turned out to just be those screws.</p>

<p>Hi Guys<br>

I recently bought the Roxsen adaptor from Ebay and the mechanical quality is pretty good. I've only used it once and I put my 35mm F2 concave front lens on my G1. The metering went haywire so I had to use the LCD to adjust the exposure as I went. I was pleased with the results and I've attached a coupleof shots with the lens pretty much wide open.<br>

The adaptor came from Honk Kong and turned up within a couple of weeks.<br>

Best regards<br>

Dave</p>

<div>00WQKA-242763584.jpg.fd93ebbd6dc8ff6a131e29df9469e3a4.jpg</div>

• 1 month later...

<p>Sorry to poke an old thread, perhaps. Bought a jinfinance Canon FD to Micro 4/3 adapter for my GF-1 and my trusty old 200/2.8 twist-lock FD. <strong> Adapter does not focus at infinity. </strong>Adapter now comes with a rotary "Lock - Open" control to open the iris fully open vs stopped down. Image quality is so-so, better if stopped down to f8 or so, but it is probably mostly an intrinsic side-effect of the lens being designed to illuminate 4X as much area as the actual sensor size. The item shipped in 10 days from a US address in NH. Make sure you buy the adapter direct from jinfinance - I've seen identical-looking devices for sale for up to $200. It's sturdy, and with the hefty 200/2.8 feels like the camera mount might get tweaked from the weight before the adapter tube would. The way these devices seem to be manufactured is, there is a core tube that has the m4/3 end, and the flanges for whatever you need at the lens end is then screwed on to the front.<br>

I could not locate the Ciecio7 adapter on Ebay.<br /> <br />In summary - I would be very disappointed if I was counting on using expensive M-series lenses with an adapter, but since the FD lenses are pretty much otherwise worthless, for $55 this is a reasonable solution for the very infrequent occasions when I want a 400mm-equivalent. I feel like I've got my money's worth. If I was to get serious about tele shooting I'd opt for a native m4/3 lens with image stabilization.<br>

Stopped down to f8, daylight: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31304721&l=4c8c8b9c3c&id=109983696<br>

Wide open, at dusk, right half of pic has has contrast photoshopped up: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31288036&l=e4a4a5afc5&id=1099836963<br>

<br />-w</p>