Anyone expecting any mind blowing technology from Canon next month?

jon_kobeck1

<p>Erwin, I seriously doubt that Canon will do "much better improvements for video capabilities". 5DIII will still be primarily a still camera and in order to make major improvements they will have to dramatically increase its size. Plus, if they improve it too much they will be taking a hit to their video cameras market. I don't think it's in their best interest. Professionals found a way to accommodate for all shortcomings of the 5DII and today it is probably one of the best video cameras in the world at 1/20 to 1/50 of a price of any serious professional camera. Yes its hard to learn and operate, yes it cam be a money pit to buy all of the attachments in order to produce serious videos but it's worth every second and penny. </p>

<p>Just a dumb question, aren't the video capabilities in a DSLR primarily a software implementation? If so, the cost is mostly in the development, and dropping video capabilities from a camera would not significantly reduce production costs per unit.</p>

<p>I don't think Canon will ever give us continuous auto focus in DSLR video (the major shortcoming now as I see it) or it will seriously hurt their sales of dedicated video cameras. Canon's only mind blowing product launch lately that I know of is video, the new <strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/684199-REG/Canon_4457B001.html">FH3000</a></strong>, with 50Mbps and CF recording, is awful close to holy grail status for small, relatively inexpensive pro level video cams.</p>

<p>Ilya, I know what you mean; I've been working as a DP and cameraman for a while now, using my 7D. I've bought tons of equipment just to make it more comfortable, and I don't have any trouble with that. The improvements I was talking about are things like slow motion at 1080p instead of 720p, the troublesome diagonal image you get when panning too fast, and fixing the audio controls.</p>

<p>Things like that wouldn't hurt their Pro Video line; heck, i'm not even interested in "auto-focus" during video.</p>

<p>Erwin, I don't think they will be able to do anything about the jitters when you pan too fast. It's sensor-related and in order to get rid of that you will have to reduce sensor dramatically thus killing all of its advantages. It would be nice though. I just hate seeing it. But slow motion, audio controls and everything that can be done with the software is definitely doable and I expect to see it maybe even with the next firmware release.</p>

<p>I would suspect something small like a 4/3 camera has to be coming. I got a chance to test out the GF1, Pen and NEX and IMO they where all light years ahead of any point and shoot. I ended up with the NEX-5.</p>

<p>I almost sure that the Canon EOS 50D will be replaced this year.<br>

Prices have been dropping steadily and now you just have to add 50 to 80 euros to the prices sellers in Europe are asking for the 550D.<br>

HD video and better high ISO performance is what I expect.<br>

For other possible replacement, I would bet on the 1000D.</p>