Anyone building their own 4x10's?

wayne_mumford

Just wondering if anyone has built their own 4x10 cameras and would be

interested in sharing their technique and approach? I have an old 8x10 in parts-the bellows is in very good shape and thought I might be able to use with an 4x10 rebuild in some way.

Any comments, suggestions, direction would be welcome.

Wayne,

Convertng an 8x10 to 4x10 is no problem, if you have some basic woodworking skills. Especially if your bellows are in good shape.

A while back, I converted an old Kodak 8x10 flatbed camera to both 4"x10" and 6x17cm formats by building a set of new ground glass backs. I am currently converting a pair of Calumet "405" 4x5 view cameras to 4"x10" and 7"x17" panoramics, with full movements. The trickiest part of the project is the film holders. You can buy new 4x10 holders from KB Canham, but I understand that they are really expensive. I have found that I can convert certain wooden graflex 8x10 holders to 4x10 by spliting them down the middle then trimming and glueing. Same thing goes for converting 5x7 holders (easier to find, less $$) to 6x17cm which uses cut lengths of 120 roll film, or split 5x7 sheet film.

I'd be happy to give you a hand in you project. I find both 4x10 and 6x17 quite exciting formats to work with.

<p>

Regards