Anyone bought the Braun FS120 film scanner?

<p>This looks like the Reflecta 120 (also sold as a Pacific Image model) dedicated film scanner, but reviews indicate it is a bit faster. So perhaps it is an updated 120 dedicated film scanner from Reflecta, the actual manufacturer? I have seen a few pictures posted on Flickr, so apparently at least some people have purchased it. I am curious if anybody in this forum has purchased or seen one? My Hasselblad has been in tears lately, yelling at me "Why did you sell your Nikon 9000!"</p>

<p>The review at the German site was very favorable, as are ALL their reviews of Reflecta scanners. I think there are a few images on Flickr for this scanner, but there don't seem to be a lot of them in use. I would do a tag search on "Braun FS120" and get in touch with the posters.</p>

<p>Now--why DID you sell the LS-9000?</p>

Why did I sell the Nikon 9000.....I figured that because it was no longer supported by Nikon, I wouldn't be able to get it fixed if it broke.

And once I finished scanning all my film, with a sell price of nearly 4K, and needing a rebuilt transmission for my SUV, well, it seemed like

the right thing to do at the time! Both my Hasselblad and son have been angry at me now and then because of that decision. Oh well, you

can't please everyone.

• 3 months later...

<p>It's probably too late to be responding but yes I bought it. After reading loads of reviews on the German website it seemed that this was a good option. Quite possibly the best because of the quality of the scans and the speed.<br>

However when I started using it I found out that you have to manually scan each image - it won't do a strip and there's not feeder - which makes the whole process really slow and cumbersome. On top of that every time I change the holder to insert a new strip I have to quit the whole application (Silverfast included) and start it up again because the calibration is out. Sometimes it takes me about 4 goes for it to work again. At the current rate I'm getting through about 1 roll of film per hour. In short is a HUGE pain in the arse so I would stay well away from it. <br>

Another piece of advice is if you buy a scanner off that German website then DO NOT say you are a business user, because if you do you lose your 14 day return policy and are stuck with whatever you have bought whether you like it or not. I rue that mistake.. </p>

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
So perhaps it is an updated 120 dedicated film scanner from Reflecta, the actual manufacturer?

- A bit late, but can I correct that.

Reflecta is not the manufacturer, but simply a re-badging of the PrimeFilm 120 Pro scanner made by Pacific Image in Taiwan.

Exactly the same machine is also sold as the Braun FS-120 and the Reflecta MF5000.

To the best of my knowledge there are now only two manufacturers of this type of dedicated film scanner - Plustek and Pacific Image. While Canon and Epson remain as makers of multi-format flatbed scanners.

Anyway, since the Braun, Reflecta and Pacific Image/PrimeFilm are all basically the same scanner, you might as well shop around for whichever badge offers the best price or deal.

Its 3200 ppi isn't a stunning specification, but it probably delivers better true resolution than any of the flatbed offerings.

As noted above, there is no auto-feed with this scanner and frame changing must be attended and done manually. I see no mention of autofocus either.

Edited by rodeo_joe|1
  • Like 1