Anyone been to Oman?

vandit

There is a very strong chance I may be going to Oman for a few months

on a consulting assignment. I'll be working 6 days a week (ugh!), so

I dont reckon I'll have too much spare time.

Still, I'd like to spend some of my spare time exploring Muscat, the

country and suchlike. I prefer nature/landscapes, but am starting to

get into people/street photography a little more.

I shoot mostly digital, but for this trip, I think I may yet take my

film SLR along.. or buy something once I am there.

Anyone have any suggestions/comments on places to visit (scenic

locales, interesting souks, etc), good photo resources and so on?

Best regards,

Vandit

<p>Lucky you! I was in Oman a couple of years ago for a quick visit. As you are there so long, you might have time to actually spend a few nights in the Wahiba Sands; there is a kind of Bedouin camp set up, where you can ride camels or horses by day, go out for drives in the desert, or just soak up the incredibly peaceful & clean atmosphere of the desert. Otherwise, at least get a driver to take you out to the sands for a day trip.<p>

<p>

Nizwah is highly recommended - arrange a driver/guide to take you up into the mountains for magnificent views, and visits to the many medieval villages with narrow streets, people and donkeys.</p>

<p>

There are many other places in Oman to visit which we couldn't do in our brief 5 days, but you'll be in a great position to do. Salallah in the south is recommended by many, too. By the way, the people were really friendly and hospitable - we have many great memories of our short time in Oman.</p>

<p>

I have a tiny gallery of some pictures I took while there here:

<b><a href="http://www.griffinbyteworks.com/photography/oman/">at this link</a></b>.

Hello, I live in Abu Dhabi and we go to Oman a couple of times per year. There is much to do in and around Muscat; an early morning at the fish market, the forts and Mutrah Souk are obvious choices. Consider nearby Sur where the giant turtles come and lay their eggs, or the coastal city or Salalah. The rugged mountains and Nizwa are very picturesque.

Regarding resources, other than your local library (or through inter-library loans), might I suggest the Motivate Publishing bookstore:

www.booksarabia.com

Do a search for Oman. "Enchanting Oman" is a wonderful and pictoral introduction to this charming country.

Finally, about purchasing something for your trip, your options are fairly limited in Muscat. This reminds me of a situation I faced. On my first overseas trip 7 or 8 years ago, I decided to purchase something special for my exotic trip (Finland): I purchased a used Mamiya 6 with a 75 mm lens for my travel photography. My philosophy was to work within the limitations of such a system, but exploit its strengths such as 6X6 negatives, square format, relative compactness, quite operation, etc. I guess I am suggesting you treat yourself to the camera of your dreams since you will have ample opportunity for photography in Oman,

All the best,

Greg<div>009u4h-20181784.thumb.jpg.ec87885962d28dbfeeef2b87fde6cfc6.jpg</div>

I worked in Muscat for 2-1/2 years, about 20 years ago. While working in Abu Dhabi a few years back, I took my wife to my favourite places in Oman. She fell in love with the place.

Lucky you. You are being paid to visit a safe, beautifil country with friendly, camera friendly people. Life could be worse. Having worked in 4 countries in the region, I can tell you the 48 hour 5-1/2 day week is something you get used to.

Things to see? The Muttrah souq (market)is in the capital area and fun to explore. The old palace in Muscat is scenic, with 3 forts overlooking it from mountains.

Outside the capital area there are vast landscape opportunities. Nizwa is pretty, but ask someone about getting to Misfah, which is past Nizwa but way up in the mountains. The trip will leave you feeling like a great explorer once you are there.

Salalah in the south is the source of frankincense mentioned in bible. They also get monsoons,which leaves the place quite green at some times of the year. Drive to Salalah and you get to see 700km of the Empty Quarter desert.

Shoot lots and edit later.

Enjoy the opportunity.

I am living in Oman, been here for 2 years now. This country has been made to take great photos, that is all I can say. there are so many places to see and visit the list is endless.

1. Musandam: truly spectacular.

2. The deserts, Empty Quarter, Wahibas.

3. The mountains, of course. Jebel Akhdar, Shams, Wadi Bani Awf, Snake Gorge.

4. The people, really friendly and warm.

5. Muscat, traditional and alive.

6. The deserted beaches, Bar Al Hickman, etc.

Canon stuff is easy to find, in the Al Araimi mall (Genetco shop). Film is more difficult, so bring plenty.

You can see a few of my photos here:

http://www.fotografia-na.net/search.php?search_user=pbizarro&sessionid=4af4a22f4a20755050fb9ec4786842a5

The Lonely Planet guide is a reasonable start. The amazing thing is that within a couple hours drive from Muscat, there are so many places to visit and see.

Thanks to all for your responses.

I guess I'll take the 10D, the Tokina 28-75/2.8 and the 70-200/4L along with me. Will probably try to buy the 17-40L or 16-35L once I am there (currently use the 19-35 Tokina, and while it is a nice enough lens, it get so much usage that a better zoom might be in order). Due to space constraints, that's about all I'll be able to take.

Will make it a point to check out the places suggested here.

Best regards,

Vandit

An additional question for Paul or anyone else familiar with the area:

Do you reckon it will be easy for me to pick up a 17-40/4L or 16-35/2.8L lens at reasonably prices in Muscat? I've been meaning to upgrade and this would be perfect, as I'd then leave my existing 19-35 Tokina behind.

How about underwater photo gear? I've wrecked my old housing and my old body, and anyway, I think I want to migrate to a housed SLR.

Best regards,

Vandit

Vandit,

The stores here (Genetco, Al Araimi mall) have a somewhat reduced number of L lenses. The 17-40 L is one of the lenses they do have, and it is priced at 335 omani ryals, something like 700 euros. I also saw the big 70-200 white whale (sorry, lens:)) there once.

As for underwater, they only have the cases for the digi compacts.

• 2 weeks later...
I nearly went to Oman a few years ago, and did the research. The "Musandem Peninsula" is meant to be really spectacular, according to the guide books. If you search www.lonelyplanet.com's Thorn Tree post, you might find the posts where I asked questions about this region.

• 4 weeks later...

i am in oman for now more then 2 years and it is a really good place for photographers. there are lots of place to be seen and explored .

beaches are good . desert and sand dunes are some thing to be explored. fish markets and souks(local market) are right place to get common people.

you can see some of my pictures taken in oman.\

regards,

vinod

• 4 years later...

<p>I spent ten years in Oman in the 1980s and 1990s, and returned in April on holiday, after a decade's absence. <br>

It is still stupendously beautiful.<br>

I would be happy to field any questions photographers might have about the Sultanate.<br>

Some of my most recent images you will find in my portfolio.</p>