Anyone been to Mazatlan in the past year?

David_Cavan

<p>We're going to Mazatlan for a week at the end of March - largely to escape the Pacific NW rain and gray for one last time before (hopefully) the sun returns to our adopted area. We're staying in a good resort, on the beach so in theory would never have to leave but that doesn't tend to be our style. I've read a lot of on-line stuff about security concerns around the Mazatlan area of course, but we're fairly experience travelers having spent two weeks along the coast in Oaxaca in the past few years without any major incidents. What I'm wondering is whether anyone here has updated information on the security situation, and if anyone has suggestions on some photo opportunities when we're in the area. We shoot pretty much anything that makes "pretty pictures", and we're open to creative ideas.</p>

<p>As a frequent traveler to Mexico, there are many safe areas to go to. Unfortunately, Mazatlan is one of the iffy areas, I would think twice, maybe go somewhere else. Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta are both great and safe.<br>

Here is the Nov 2012 Travel Advisory from the US Dept of State:<br>

"<strong>Sinaloa: Mazatlan</strong> <strong>is a major city/travel destination in Sinaloa -</strong><a href="http://travel.state.gov/pdf/MexicoMapforTSG.pdf">see map to identify its exact location</a>: You should defer non-essential travel to the state of Sinaloa except the city of Mazatlan where you should exercise caution particularly late at night and in the early morning. One of Mexico's most powerful TCOs is based in the state of Sinaloa. With the exception of Ciudad Juarez, since 2006 more homicides have occurred in the state's capital city of Culiacan than in any other city in Mexico. Travel off the toll roads in remote areas of Sinaloa is especially dangerous and should be avoided. We recommend that any other travel in Mazatlan be limited to Zona Dorada and the historic town center, as well as direct routes to/from these locations and the airport."<br>

<a href="http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5815.html">This is the link for the report for all of Mexico</a><br>

Good Luck!</p>

<p>Thanks Mark - I was aware of that advisory. We've travelled to places previously where we were told it would be unsafe including similar advisories, and have not had anything bad to tell as a result with some care and attention in the planning. I am working to see what others have experienced in the past 90 days - I've now talked to two different people who've been through Mazatlan lately and have ventured beyond the restricted zones. There appear to be some destinations that are frequently visited during the day as a start. I'm looking for those ideas as well as the notes of caution.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

<p>David,<br>

I live in Brownsvile, Texas, right across the river from Matamoros, Tamaulipas, Mexico. No, I haven't been to Mazatlan, recently, but I can tell you of Tamaulipas which is on the same level of violence as Sinaloa. I used to travel at least once a month to Tamaulipas and San Luis Potosi doing backcountry and candid ethnographic photography. Needless to say, I haven't been across that border since December, 2009. The violence is random and can explode anywhere. And don't expect any help at all from the authorities. There was a major gun battle in Reynosa, Tamuulipas a week ago, Sunday, March 10, engulfing bystanders.<br>

Mazatlan is Sinaloa cartel and whoever they are fighting. It is not quite as violent as Culiacan or Acapulco but it is not a picnic. The tourist areas should be safe but wandering off to isolated beaches north or south of the city to take landscape shots puts one at risk. Here's a blog - http://www.borderlandbeat.com<br>

You can do a search on Borderland beat or ask specific questions in their forum. It is the best source of actual hands on information.</p>

<p>Gene</p>

<p> </p>

• 3 weeks later...