Anybody have shots of (the late) Paul Dana?

discpad

Anybody have shots of (the late) Paul Dana?

I always try to get at least a couple shots in the paddock or on pit row

of each driver, in case of their demise... I had some nice chromes of

Tony Renna; but nothing on Paul Dana.

Wow, I didn't realize he was killed today until Dan mentioned it. It's a reminder of how dangerous open wheel, open cockpit racing can be. I've seen several wrecks in NASCAR events in which the drivers got nary a scratch or bruise, but the cars have been tweaked to keep 'em on the ground while spinning, there's very little risk of going airborne, and the drivers are fairly well protected. Indy racing is a whole 'nuther can o' worms.

Of course, these improvements in NASCAR have led to more recklessness by drivers, but that, too, is a whole 'nuther can o' worms.

Lex, tune into the SPEED News rerun at midnight Eastern, which has video from all 3 camera angles plus the in-car from Sharp.

What happened is that Ed Carpenter had a tank-slapper barely 2 minutes into the 10AM warm-up session, and five cars went around him; however Dana didn't lift and drove right into his left rear. The safety crew said he was already dead by the time the car came to a halt, most likely killed when he hit Carpenter's transmission. The view from Sharp's in-car is telling, as you see & hear him slowing down while Dana zips past him.

As they say, film at 11...