Anybody have any samples of formals done with 2 flashes, LSII's and an ST-e2?

colleendonovan

Hi everyone! I have a wedding this weekend with big ol' family groups. So I

went and bought a ST-e2 transmitter. I'm going to use my 550 and 580

flashes. I did tons of test shots this morning (of myself so no I won't be

posting any) and I can't decide if I should just leave them alone or do

something with flash ratio. My goal is to have perfectly exposed, well

lighted formals. (Duh) Should I just set my camera on the settings I want and

just let the flashes do their thing? We'll be outside in a shady park

(possibly backlit but I'll try to avoid that) around 4-5pm. I don't want the

pictures to look too flashy, but I want them to look nice. any advice? Any

samples you want to share along with your settings? I think I will use the

set up also in the church after the ceremony as the bride wants one of them on

the alter. Thanks!!!

Colleen:

They work great! I am at my day job now, so I cannot share a sample with you at this time, but I set up my camera, with the ST-E2, right in the center of the groups and I am approx 30-40 feet away from the group, then I have my 2-flashes with omni-bounce difusers (550ex's) mounted on light stands on each side of the camera located between me and the group at 45 degrees both ways. Hope that makes sense (think of a basebal field with me at home plate, group at 2nd base, and flashes located at 1st and 3rd). I never have the flash pointing directly at the group. I bounce off of the ceiling, side walls or even the back wall behind me depending on the room size. My light stands extend up to about 7', so I can get flash closer to high ceilings if needed. No shadows. It really works well not only for great shots, but very easy to manouver lights. Hope this helps. Sorry no sample image at this time.

Jeff

In the church, using multiple flashes bouncing off walls and ceilings is fine, if the ceilings/wall allow it. I would keep at least one on camera (to avoid having to use the STE2) and have another bounce off a wall or use a diffuser.

Outdoors, I think you're better off using a single flash on camera as fill. Just meter for ambient light and dial your flash down 1 1/3 to 1 2/3 in the shade. As long as you dial down the flash, it won't look flashy.

Myself, I'm using a quantum off camera for all my formals now, sometimes in combination with 580 on camera for some bounce fill indoors. The following was 2 580s one on camera, and one on the left. Both flashes had stofens. I really think multiple flashes outdoors is overkill.<div>00H3Xl-30781784.jpg.6d06590b9445451bde130deaf10569b6.jpg</div>

Hi Colleen, I've got an altar shot that had a 2nd flash that Larry Schaefer held about 8 feet high, mounted on a monopod, pointed at a slight angle towards the middle of the bridal party. He was about 10 feet to the right and slightly forward of my position as I shot film with a Vivitar283 on a camera bracket. I used a peanut slave for the Vivitar283 that Larry was holding and set his to be about a half stop hotter than my flash. It's probably a bit difficult to appreciate in a 510 pixel image but it did give me pretty nice even lighting. I'm getting ready to experiment with my Canon 580/430 combo soon.<div>00H3YE-30782384.jpg.ccebed71bbb49313b898a5e67a71fa60.jpg</div>